• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My Recent Rifle Build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L T Grey

32 Cal
Reaction score
I finished up this rifle several weeks back. I'll say its a generic Lancaster that has a good bit of Dickert and some Haines in it. I built it from accumulated parts and a clearance sale stock I've had since 2006. The rifle turned out well even though it tossed some challenges my way during the build; including very soft wood, and a buried rot pocket behind the cheek that extends into the box cavity on the offside. That forced me to change my carving elements, but I was able to work around the issue with simplified carving. It's going to be a hunting rifle so I decided on steel furniture even though historically it would have been brass mounted. The barrel is a Colerain 38 inch, Early American, B weight in .50 cal. Lock is a lefty Chambers Siler. Wood was colored with Laurel Mountain Maple stain and Laurel Mountain Ebony stain in a 6:1 ratio. Lock plate, cock, trigger plate, side plate, toe plate, nose cap, thimbles and screws are fire blued. Barrel, buttplate, frizzen and triggerguard are rust blued. I experimented with Mark Lee's Express Blue #1 for the rust bluing and was well pleased. It is easy, fast and it left a deep, nice finish. You don't need a humidity box or a boiling tank. I used a piece of two inch PVC piped capped on one end as my "tank", and poured in boiling water to cure the finish. Finished weight of the rifle is 6 pounds 10 oz.

Attachments

• Ahaynesleftfull.jpg
    Ahaynesleftfull.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 2
  • Ahaynesright.jpg
    Ahaynesright.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Ahayneslock.jpg
    Ahayneslock.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • Ahaynescheekprofile.jpg
    Ahaynescheekprofile.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
  • Ahaynesleft.jpg
    Ahaynesleft.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Well that looks very nice for sure. That sucks about the wood issue I bet that sent a bit of panic. I like how the stripes in the patch box pretty much mimic the ones in the lower butt stock.

I finished up this rifle several weeks back. I'll say its a generic Lancaster that has a good bit of Dickert and some Haines in it. I built it from accumulated parts and a clearance sale stock I've had since 2006. The rifle turned out well even though it tossed some challenges my way during the build; including very soft wood, and a buried rot pocket behind the cheek that extends into the box cavity on the offside. That forced me to change my carving elements, but I was able to work around the issue with simplified carving. It's going to be a hunting rifle so I decided on steel furniture even though historically it would have been brass mounted. The barrel is a Colerain 38 inch, Early American, B weight in .50 cal. Lock is a lefty Chambers Siler. Wood was colored with Laurel Mountain Maple stain and Laurel Mountain Ebony stain in a 6:1 ratio. Lock plate, cock, trigger plate, side plate, toe plate, nose cap, thimbles and screws are fire blued. Barrel, buttplate, frizzen and triggerguard are rust blued. I experimented with Mark Lee's Express Blue #1 for the rust bluing and was well pleased. It is easy, fast and it left a deep, nice finish. You don't need a humidity box or a boiling tank. I used a piece of two inch PVC piped capped on one end as my "tank", and poured in boiling water to cure the finish. Finished weight of the rifle is 6 pounds 10 oz.
You fellas have a lot of talent . that rifle, call it what ever you like but you have to describe it as beautiful.

Well that looks very nice for sure. That sucks about the wood issue I bet that sent a bit of panic. I like how the stripes in the patch box pretty much mimic the ones in the lower butt stock.
Thanks! Panic would have been a mild reaction Pete! When I began to relieve the element it literally crumbled like popcorn. Was able to dig it out and work down the contour. I was wondering how I would work in a "wear plate" behind the cheek. I got lucky on the box lid. I found a piece of scrap that was close and worked with it. Thankfully it helped accent the curl in the butt. Thanks for noticing!

Last edited:
I really like the color you mixed up. The ebony is not something I've thought of. How did you come up with that at 6:1?
I played with some scrap maple and used a syringe to be accurate on my ratio. I randomly used 6 parts of the Maple stain as my base amount, and tried up to three parts of the ebony before it got too dark. The 6:1 gave me the depth I wanted and seemed to bring the gold out in the maple stain. I also had the same resulting color on a scrap piece by using the ebony alone which finished up a dark brown. I rubbed it back with maroon scotchbrite and then put the maple over the top. Way less work using the 6:1 ratio on the whole gun..

Nice job sir .

So, how do you blue it without a boiling tank? I use Mark Lee's stuff a lot and always use a boiling set-up.
I read the information on their web site, and it says if you are only doing a few barrels you may use a PVC pipe tube and just pour in boiling water to cure (blacken) the barrel rather than boiling. It works quite well. I put on 5-6 coats of the solution waiting a minute or so between coats, then into a 2 inch PVC tube and pour in boiling water. Let it steep for two minutes, remove, dry and card it off with degreased steel wool. Repeat until the color pleases you. I found it interesting that the instruction sheet that comes with the bottle differs a bit from thier web site instructions/tips. I followed their web site tips. Also tells you on the web site that nutralizing in a baking soda bath isn't necessay if you are bluing the object. It does need a good oiling for 24 hours or so after you are done. Check out the tips section in the instructions section on thier site. https://markleesupplies.com/instructions

Back