• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My portable night hog hunting set ups

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howie1968

40 Cal.
Reaction score
This is my portable night time hunting set up, luckily we have lots of pines that I can climb with my summit goliath stand. in the picture you will see my TC white mountain carbine loaded with 535 grain no powder 90 grains of pyrodex RS.
as you can see why I paint my front sights white, they glow when a red beam hits them.

This picture does the light no justice ill raise the light up a few inches to cover the whole area of the trails I and out of the feeder pen. we have to put cattle panels up to keep hogs out. however we had 1 boar that could and would jump the fence to get corn. he started teaching the younger boars how to jump in. this past april I shot him with the white mountain carbine and several other boars using this set up. in total darkenss the light will throw a beam 30 yards wide and 60 yards long. the hog in the picture is theone I killed that night. I shot him at 9 pm got down to look for him, as I was walking a bunch of pigs were coming in. I backed out of the briars and thorns and decided to wait until morning to find him. I get lots of calls to help get rid of hogs and this setup only takes 5 min to get totally set up 15 ft off the ground
FB_IMG_1554542163170 (1).jpg
FB_IMG_1554542163170 (1).jpg
29749311_10214347683102744_4632523395244606675_o.jpg

Interesting and informative.

In Africa they hang a bait in a tree for a leopard and put a red light above it and run the electrical line to the blind. When they hear the leopard eating the bait, they very slowly turn on the red light which has a rheostat installed and instant leopard on the ground, dead.

Have to love technology and red lights. Critters can not see red lights.

Interesting and informative.

In Africa they hang a bait in a tree for a leopard and put a red light above it and run the electrical line to the blind. When they hear the leopard eating the bait, they very slowly turn on the red light which has a rheostat installed and instant leopard on the ground, dead.

Have to love technology and red lights. Critters can not see red lights.
Your right and wrong. They don't see red as we do but they do see something, possibly a dark shade.
I have fox's that spot my red light and disappear. They have been ''educated" and associate the red light with danger however it appears to them.

The red spot light is the light of choice is Texas for hunting critters at night, that is what is favored and what works.

"They have been ''educated" and associate the red light with danger however it appears to them."

I have a feeling it is light and not the color of light that portrays danger.

I am color blind, red/green and blue/green so hunting with a red light is a challenge, but it does work.

Calling at night is somewhat of a challenge, need to keep the speaker away from you.
Owls will key in on the sound and go for it. I have had my hat knocked off when owls go to the sound of speaker, that does increase your heart beat. Has happened twice. Hawks do not pay attention to speakers or key in to them during the day light.

The red spot light is the light of choice is Texas for hunting critters at night, that is what is favored and what works.

"They have been ''educated" and associate the red light with danger however it appears to them."

I have a feeling it is light and not the color of light that portrays danger.

I am color blind, red/green and blue/green so hunting with a red light is a challenge, but it does work.

Calling at night is somewhat of a challenge, need to keep the speaker away from you.
Owls will key in on the sound and go for it. I have had my hat knocked off when owls go to the sound of speaker, that does increase your heart beat. Has happened twice. Hawks do not pay attention to speakers or key in to them during the day light.
Same here, had owls swoop at me too.

I could show literally 100 pictures or more of bobcat fox and coyote that ive taken at night under red lights. what I do is turn the lights on and leave them on until im done. ive seen where people wait until the animal is close then they hurry and turn the lights on. it scares hogs also by leaving them on they are comfortable conming in.. on my pklaces I only go in when hunting or baiting or putting someone in my stand. keeping scent and noise to a minimum is crucial for success

I could show literally 100 pictures or more of bobcat fox and coyote that ive taken at night under red lights. what I do is turn the lights on and leave them on until im done. ive seen where people wait until the animal is close then they hurry and turn the lights on. it scares hogs also by leaving them on they are comfortable conming in.. on my pklaces I only go in when hunting or baiting or putting someone in my stand. keeping scent and noise to a minimum is crucial for success
Me too Howie but if you miss a fox he don't forget a light source however he sees it....if he can associate it with a bang, crack or hiss!

im not quite sure they see it as a darker shade. I think the intensity of the light makes a difference. our 9 watt lights red are only 569 lumens I have the first version of the that are only 2 watts have no idea how many lumens. we even had a white 3 watt with the new to the time cree chips led. even the white ones id mount in a tree aiming dow. to the best I recall I never had a hog get scared coming in. those were set up with dusk and dawn se
Me too Howie but if you miss a fox he don't forget a light source however he sees it....if he can associate it with a bang, crack or hiss!
yes sir I agree to that. I remember the first time I heard a fox bark. sent chills down my back

Back