• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My patterning test with Pillow Ticking Strip shot cups

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgg

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I see Eric Krewson was experimenting today also and started a thread so I wanted to add my testing to the mix also.

My 20 bore Fowler has a straight cylinder 38" TOW/Colerain barrel and a Jim Chambers Round Face English Lock. I got it late last spring and have just over 300 shots through it, mostly ball, but about 80 test patterns of shot too. I have experimented with various wadding and shot cups and 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 oz of 6's or 7 1/2's. My patterns have been pretty patchy and unimpressive so far, but 1 1/2 oz's of 7 1/2's in a paper shot cup and 80 grns. of 3f shoots a pretty nice even pattern at 20 yds.

Today I used 1 1/8" pillow ticking strips to cup 1 1/2 oz's of hard 7 1/2's. I tried a few different combos, with and without cushion wads etc., and the load that did the best was:

80 grns Goex 3F
1/8" hard OP wad
1/2" cushion wad
1 1/8" strip of pillow ticking lubed with Wonder Lube
1 1/2 oz's 7 1/2's
2 thin OS wads

IMGP1284.jpg

IMGP1285.jpg

When I tried 70 grns of powder and 1 1/4 oz of shot my pattern was very poor, which I did not expect and don't understand, but that's how it was. All guns are different (and strange) in their own way :idunno:

Recovered pillow ticking strips showed that it does seem to help keep the shot from "scrubbing" on the side of the barrel and my patterns at a lasered 22 yds. were quite even and the best I have had so far. There was virtually no leading of the barrel. The load would kill a turkey, and three times in a row put 5 to 8 pellets in the kill zone, but I would not want to try and stretch my yardage any farther with them.
They would kill a rabbit or grouse farther no problem, but trying to get a consistent 5 or 6 pellets in the head or neck of a turkey is tougher than getting a couple body hits on small game or birds. BTW, I have tried the "tuna can" test and at that yardage with 80 grns. of 3F hard 7 1/2's penetrate fine, but again, I would not want to try it any farther away.

IMGP1290.jpg

IMGP1288.jpg

I found my best 40 yard turkey load with a cylinder choked 20 bore is 70 grns. of Goex3F and cloth patch and a single .595 320 grn "pellet"--that's what I would hunt with if they let me :grin: But that is the subject of another thread...

IMGP1292.jpg

More great info. Like you, I'm really liking how well the patching protects the shot from the bore. I'm impressed with how smoothly that strip lays into place in the 20, compared to the round patches I've tried. The round patches are fine in my 12, but I'm pretty dedicated to trying the strips in the 20 when I get back.

Thanks!

Don't fool yourself about how easy it is to kill one with a patched round ball. I know of one that had a 490 prb completely pass thru shot from 2-3 inches right of anus and come out the breast. Turkey was strutting and facing away from shooter. Bird spun in a half circle and hauled @$$ , only to be called in a killed 2 weeks later still chasing hens. He had a scab on each end. Turkey vitals are very small and well protected. Head and neck or miss to try them another day.

Wow, I was planning on using my 36 caliber next week, after that story I might just take the 56. Chris

Do you just want to kill it or do you want something left to eat? A .22 through the wing butt will kill turkeys very nicely, a .357 magnum in the same palce makes turkey soup.

My first year turkey hunting, I really don't know what I am doing. Of course I want something left but I also want to use enough gun. Chris

Back