• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My new knife & hawk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wanders

36 Cal.
Reaction score
This is my first try at making a knife. I used an old file and the hilt is cast of antler. The blade's about 8" long and overall its about 13". I left some hammer marks because I like them there. This is also my first attempt at polishing a blade.
1111Knife.jpg

I also made this hawk. The head's about 7" x 2". The handle is black walnut.
1111Hawk.jpg

I'd appreciate some feedback!
Bill

Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I like 'em! I've made knives, so I appreciate the work that went into your blade. Never made a 'hawk but I like your's. Good work. They look to me like they could've been used way back on the frontier!

:hatsoff:

Howdy wanders,
I think ya did a great job fer yer 1st
attempt at it. Got 1 question fer ya..
whatd ya make the hawk from ? :thumbsup:
been wantin ta make me a knife from a file too.
how long did it take ya fer the knife ?
Good job..

Rooster

Nice work Bill! Looks ta be well made and strong! :thumbsup:

Davy

Howdy Rooster,
The hawk was made from 5/8 square 1048 steel- that's a medium carbon steel that I use to make strikers with. As to the knife, it didn't take long to shape it at the forge. Most of the time spent was in grinding, polishing, and shaping the blade. I used an angle grinder mounted in a vise. I took the guard off and used the side of a cut-off wheel. I took my time 'cause I didn't want to mess it up. It was definetly a learn-as-you-go project for me.
Bill

Back