• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

my new blanket coat.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fort fireman

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Well , I finally took the leap and tryed my hand at making a blanket coat. I used a Capote pattern from Northwest traders and 2 cheap army wool blankets. I think it came out ok. It isn't the most HC/PC thing but it will be warm. i really don't like hoods on my stuff so instead of a hood on my coat I put a cape and collar. Kinda a mix between a capote and a hunting frock.
photo-1.jpg

Of course how this winter is going in NC I don't know if I will ever get to wear it for real. :grin: It's mid 60's today for cryin out loud!

Looks good from here and it don't get much warmer than a wool Army blanket. If my mom would have made me a Blanky coat when I was 5, I woulda been in heaven. My blanky and I were real close. :redface:

That sounds like a wonderful Idea using two army blankets. I wonder how warm it would be??..................watch yer top knot................

Having worn my blanket capote in cold weather, with strong winds, I recommend that you consider sewing in a liner on the inside, made of some tight woven fabric, to serve as a wind-breaker. Wool is warm, but its not much good for staying warm in a strong wind. If you wear a wind breaker over it, of course, the wool will trap heat near your body, while whisking moisture( sweat) away from your skin. But, I don't know of a " cool" looking wind break to wear on top of my capote. :idunno: :surrender: A thin, light-weight deer skin cape( slicker) would do the job........ :hmm:

That leaves sewing a good lining inside the wool blanket. :hmm: Or wearing a leather hunting shirt under the capote. :hatsoff:

I can't stand it!! It's 29 degrees here, almost two feet of snow on the ground, and this guy wants it to be colder?? :confused:

I guess we all have our own crosses to bear.I'm fighting sunburn and you're fighting frostbite. :grin:

Sorry, my wife took the pics with her iPhone. I'll try to get some closer pics. I just used whatever thread I had on hand and a whip stitch. This was a practice coat. I really didn't want to cut up a high dollar wool blanket with zero practice.

looks good, I made one with with the same blankets you used 2 years ago. I really enjoy mine. I went with the hood but I like the cape on yours. I have actually slept wearing mine on a two cold camp outs.

I think it looks pretty good. Just in case you want to make another one out of a different color blanket, wait until June-July to start looking. That's when the prices really start to drop on "vintage wool blankets" and sometimes you can find a real Hudson Bay for. I bought several off of the online auction places and had capotes made for myself, dad and niece two years ago. We got lucky (I guess you could say that) with the record cold spell that happened a year ago this month, but this winter there have been very few days in which the temperature dipped low enough to wear one here in Texas. I also opted for no hood.

Looks good. I am taking the same route for mine. I found 2 Gray Wool Navy Blankets that will be My victims...I would were a hide shirt under it to Remain HC...and keep the wind from turning You into a popcicle.....60 in Western WA today...Nice change from 2 feet of snow and just above freezing 2 weeks ago...

LOOKS GREAT FROM HERE! was planning on making one myself and was kinda curious as to what an army green one would look like..Now I know! I will probably go with the same color and I also like your cape rather than a hood...Thanks for sharing!

Back