• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My first powder horn.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a newbie with muzzle loaders and starting from scratch, slowly acquiring things I need. . I decided to make a powder horn after receiving a Chinese one as a Christmas gift that was a failure.
Got these from our pasture from a cow that died and decided what the heck.
In their natural state as found they were very rough looking. Most likely not the best quality. I am not ā€œso intoā€ the period thing (yet) and just wanted a horn that would that hold powder. This is what I came up with. Used our native mesquite for the end cap and peg. I threaded the plug on the end cap so refilling it would be bit easier.
I know itā€™s probably not correct to any period and doesnā€™t have any fancy engraving and carvings but itā€™s my first and should work for me in my BP journey.View attachment 312678View attachment 312679View attachment 312680

Thanks for all the encouraging words. I have this horns mate and will be making another in the future. I did learn a couple things with this one that I won't be doing on the next one.
That is called gaining experience. --- By the way, you did a great job on your first horn.

Heck yeah buddy! You can be proud of that horn for sure. Like I've mentioned on here before, mine literally came from K-Mart many years ago. šŸ¤£ And that screw in plug is very cool. Now if we could just get you Texans to quit using Mesquite on brisket, and switch to Hickree, you'd be doin alright šŸ˜‰

Beaut job, I'm working on my first at the moment too, I'll be a happy lad if it turns out as nice as yours

"NOT INTO THE PERIOD THING YET"? But making your own horn from local materials you found?! Dude you are into the period thing. Great job and welcome to a life long passion. DY

I am a newbie with muzzle loaders and starting from scratch, slowly acquiring things I need. . I decided to make a powder horn after receiving a Chinese one as a Christmas gift that was a failure.
Got these from our pasture from a cow that died and decided what the heck.
In their natural state as found they were very rough looking. Most likely not the best quality. I am not ā€œso intoā€ the period thing (yet) and just wanted a horn that would that hold powder. This is what I came up with. Used our native mesquite for the end cap and peg. I threaded the plug on the end cap so refilling it would be bit easier.
I know itā€™s probably not correct to any period and doesnā€™t have any fancy engraving and carvings but itā€™s my first and should work for me in my BP journey.View attachment 312678View attachment 312679View attachment 312680
I think your horn looks very nice and I bet it works just fine. Good Job!

Back