• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My first flinter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbuckdn

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I now own my first flinter
its an older T/C it has no modle marked on it its a 45cal in excelent condition can't wait to play around with it.

They are good rifles. I love mine.

Here's my favorite;
70 gr of fffg GOEX main load
ffffg GOEX prime
.018 pillow patch w/Bore Butter (lacking the BB just use olive oil)
.490 Hornady round ball
Tom Fuller or Rich Pierce flint

The two dozen or so TC's I have shot all seem to settle in on pretty close to the 65 - 75 gr load.
I don't see any difference between 2f and 3f. I don't shoot over 50 yards so maybe it would change
my opinion if I did.

Enjoy you new rifle.

Congrats on your new rifle!
I think you'd do good to start with about 50 grains 3F and a .440 ball w/ pillow tick.
Sounds like maybe an early TC so it's likley a slower twist.
Jon D

not sure at all on the twist rate I didn't see it printed anyplace also I don't know the modle so I can't look it up. the gentleman I bought it from gave me a box of 433 balls so I will shoot them a bit and see how I like it. I mainly shoot precussion this will be all new. Gonna shoot sunday for the first time

.433 ball might be a tad loose; you'll know when you seat them. I wish I still had my T/C Hawken; it escaped in a moment of weakness. How about posting a pic? Welcome to the "DAHK SIDE" of bp burning.

well I got to shoot her yesterday had a great day
could not believe how great it shot we were only shooting 25yards but I put the first 3 in same hole
it was awsome
65gr 2ff iwas shooting 433balls that the guy gave me with it when i bought it with .20patch
and i also ran some 250gr reals same load felt over powder both loads hit the same spot at 25.

on my days off i will set up photobucket post some pics plus in the precussion section I will post some pics of my 54cal that i built my first build without a kit.

People may say this & that about the TC's, but there's no question that they have been the Bridge by which many crossed over to Land of Flint & Black Powder.

Plus...and many find this irritating...I never met a TC that didn't flat-out shoot.

E

ChuckE,

If I had not been there to witness the 3 shots in one hole I probably would not have believed you. Looking forward to our next range session. Until then be safe and keep making round balls. :thumbsup:

:patriot:

Charlie

congrats on your new rifle!

although i cannot explain it, there is an ineffable and inexplicable magic to whacking a bit of rock into a piece of metal in order to fling another bit of metal in order to make a hole in something a fair distance away. those who don't 'get it,' well, i suppose that that's their loss, and after all, somebody has to stay home and mow the lawn.

we cool folks know better, have longer lawns, and get all excited about sharp bits of rock.

enjoy the new addiction!

Back