• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My favourite camp breakfast

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doc Coffin said:
Good morning my friend, you simply need a couple of handfulls of cornmeal, an egg and some water. Leave the misx to stand for a while to allow the cornmeal to soak. If it looks too runny -add more cornmeal. If it looks too stiff - add more water. Fry it in butter. Cover with maple syrup when done, or you might try molasses. Blueberries are good with it too.
It sounds like you're making something similar to what we would call "Johnny Cakes" or "Hoecakes".

Jonnycakes are a type of unleavened cornbread made of cornmeal, salt, and water. The dough was set on a wooden board or barrel stave and placed at an angle in front of an open fire to bake. Hoecake was traditionally cooked on a hoe: "Hoe-Cake: A cake of Indian meal, baked before the fire. In the interior parts of the country, where kitchen utensils do not abound, they are baked on a hoe; hence the name."

The difference between jonnycake and hoecake originally lay in the method of preparation, though today both are often cooked on a griddle or in a skillet. Some recipes call for baking jonnycakes in an oven, similar to corn pones which are still baked in the oven like they were traditionally.

Jonnycakes may also be made using leavening, with or without other ingredients more commonly associated with American pancakes, such as eggs or solid fats like butter. Like pancakes, they are often served with maple syrup, honey, or other sweet toppings.

Vtsmoker said:
Are we talking Ronde camp or primitive trek camp. The reason I ask is, how do you pack in eggs without having scrambled eggs in your haversack? :confused:

Good evening my friend, whilst I enjoy scrambled eggs as musch as the nest man, I have to agree that this is not a suitable receipt for trekkers :grin: Standing-camp fodder only really.

In that case I like oat meal(not the fake instant stuff)with brown sugar and maple suryup and of course bacon or venison back strap

Southerners are sometimes referred (slang) as 'cracker' - cracked corn (cornmeal, grits)
or 'grit' - explanation uneeded.
every eatery that I've ever been into in Virginia offered 'scrapple' and grits for breakfast - most times w/gravy and an egg and toast for their cheapest full breakfast meal.
'scrapple' itself has cornmeal as one of the ingredients and is always fryed before eating. I love it.

Oh, trekking breakfast... Oatmeal boiled in a tin cup with a handful of dried fruit thrown in.
And about a quart of coffee.

Are we talking Ronde camp or primitive trek camp. The reason I ask is, how do you pack in eggs without having scrambled eggs in your haversack?
You bring a chicken along! :rotf:

If I have to get moving in the morning some sort of hot cereal, coffee, and whatever cured meat I have like landsjaeger, pepperoni, jerky. If I have have time to lounge around then eggs, meat, fruit, and coffee.

Like yer coffee don't ya? A quart every morning! :shocked2: I drink 2 cups and end up "going" about 6 times before noon! :( I like a cup or two of either English or Irish Breakfast tea by Twinings myself. I'll put the fireproof suit on now. :grin:

not a dang thing wrong with those teas, real good flavor, I like them both myself n have them here at home often instead of coffee, good stuff

the gravy biscuits I had this morning seem to still be stuck to my ribs.
I'm actually advised against this dish but this a.m. was frosty and windy - that's when I really enjoy hi-carb/fat breakfasts

My favourite camp breakfast is fresh caught trout cooked ever an open fire and eggs. Hard to beat that, IMO.

I like biscuits, hominy and sausage. I make my own sausage and dehydrate it and the hominy. Its always with me. Can't get my boy to eat hominy...yet. :haha:

Woodbutcher said:
Do you need wheat flour in the mix for corn pancakes? Would someone please post a receipe for corn pancakes. Woodbutcher
www.Hillbillyhousewife.com has a really good corn pancake recipe. It makes a lighter pancake than a hoe cake or cornbread.

Last edited by a moderator:
No problem. If you think about it let me know what you think. To me they're addicting so I don't make them to often lol.

Yes indeed, freshly caught trout mmmmmmmmmm; I remember many years ago sneaking down to a small stream on some private land and poaching a number of brown trout. On the way back I chanced upon a crop of puff-balls. I picked the lot and fried them and the trout in butter. Fantastic, and all the better for being free.

Doc Coffin said:
Yes indeed, freshly caught trout mmmmmmmmmm; I remember many years ago sneaking down to a small stream on some private land and poaching a number of brown trout. On the way back I chanced upon a crop of puff-balls. I picked the lot and fried them and the trout in butter. Fantastic, and all the better for being free.

It's not poaching if they "follow" you home. When I lived in MT had a bear follow my dog home and into my cabin. Cops told me if I had a tag shoot it they would write it up as self defense.(It was fall season)

Rev: Been working with this corn meal, corn flour thing for a few weeks now, trying to learn something. The easier you keep it, the better it works. Corn meal, or flour, salt, water, heat. Even I can do it, and it's pretty good.
Tried the hot water added to the corn, as per the Hillbilly website you mentioned. Best so far. Thank you. Woodbutcher

Back