• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My Effective "buckshot load" in a 62

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think he meant to say, "...it was like missing the target 9 times with say a .36 navy revolver in that same split second." ?

I believe he meant that the shock to the nervous system would increase by the number of simultaneous hits squared. I am not familiar with that particular hypothesis.

Exactly. The simultaneous (well simultaneous as far as the nervous system is concerned) impacts, plus with a little bit of a spread (two holes right next to each other apparently are like a really large, single hole) amplify the effect, squared, when it comes to the nervous system shutting down, and shock setting in. Now my source was well versed in humans, and the idea was that it transferred to other mammals, BUT I've seen deer with a hole through their heart go a long distance when I'd think a human would drop much sooner so I don't know if the two nervous systems are sufficiently similar. :idunno: .

And all of that would still be taking the original premise as valid...since this was back in the early 1990's it may have been debunked.

LD

Loyalist Dave said:
And all of that would still be taking the original premise as valid...since this was back in the early 1990's it may have been debunked.
I would expect it has been.

How would you test such an idea, anyway? What's the measure of 'shock', pounds, yards, volts?

Spence

Interesting. I deer hunted most of my whole life with buckshot because that is what was legal to use where I live. There are still some guys around here who shoot modern shotguns with 00 buck that can put them all thru a small steering wheel at 50 yards with fancy choke tubes.

colorado clyde said:
It'd be hell on a coyote... :grin:

EXACTLY what I was just thinking. :hmm: I was going to buy some .440" balls for slingshot ammo (I'm dabbling in that out of curiosity) and am also an avid coyote caller. I'm thinking it would be quite a challenge to call in and bag a dog with my .62 smoothie... and a buckshot load would be much batter than trying to hit one of those little slinkers with a PRB.

Thanks for sharing the info, armymedic. :hatsoff:

Our super killer using modern shotguns was a load of #4 buck (.240"). I'd be sure to try loads with something on that order too. Didn't take many of those little balls at all to lay them flat.

FWIW I just bought a black powdah 1811 patent date breech loader (1st ever fielded to any Army) and while I can't discuss the arm here on these forums, 1 mold was shipped w/ every 10 rifles sold, that cast 1 roundball and 3 buckshot.

The book on this rifle and carbine (1 carbine model was a smoothie) said that the buck&ball load was very effective and the favorite load of Dragoons in the Seminole Indian wars in the Florida swamps.

From what I understand, it was tested, and right down the street in Bethesda, Maryland. Special Forces medics were once strained on live animals, dogs first, then pigs (they may still be trained so). Animals received various wounds from various different munitions, and the medics trained on keeping the animals alive and stable. The difficulty in keeping the animal alive when it was hit with buckshot (or several simultaneous wounds from shrapnel or a claymore) apparently was measured vs single gunshot wounds, and multiple gunshot wounds over time.

Because of Animal Rights Activism (PETA was headquartered a short distance away in Silver Spring, Maryland) the school was "discontinued" and the facility taken down..., which I'm told it was simply moved to a secure and undisclosed location and became "classified". The actual data isn't shared with the general population because of the controversy it will generate from how it was collected.

LD

Public knowledge of animals used in research will always lead to controversy. Unfortunately, the majority of the propaganda released by the "animal-rights" activists is inflammatory and wrong, with its effect being dependent upon an emotional rather than a rational response.

You have to love how hypocritical they are by putting lives and property in danger at sea, and steal, break and enter, trespass, and destroy property (clothing) on land to uphold their (im)moral stance.

Back on topic though; I've wondered about buckshot use on wounded hogs (or anything else that may want retribution once you're close enough), were that to happen. It seems like it would potentially be a bit more effective than a handgun (thinking Howdah Hunter 20ga vs any .44 cal revolver).

Not to mention, they have benefited greatly from the research but have no compunction denying the same to others... :slap: :slap: :slap:

And to rodwaha,

The "most effective medicine" against a WOUNDED Cape Buffalo, leopard or lion is generally considered in Africa to be 00 or 000 buckshot out of a 10 or 12 bore shotgun, in the hands of a professional hunter.

ImVho, ANYTHING that can be fired from the shoulder & that will STOP a wounded Cape Buff is plenty powerful for most any North American game animal.
(The famous professional hunter, Henry Selby, favorite "stopping gun" was a SxS Parker DB 10-bore & loaded with 000 buckshot.)

yours, satx

Back