• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

my caywood

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lockjaw

40 Cal.
Reaction score
...a few pics of my wilson...made from a kit...

DSCF0789-1.jpg

DSCF0792.jpg

DSCF0793.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
...i wanted this in smoothbores ...does everything with a photo get put here?...no...please move it back...thankyou

lockjaw said:
...i wanted this in smoothbores ...does everything with a photo get put here?...no...please move it back...thankyou
Part of the reason I no longer post my latest work,,,,,it always gets moved to an irrelevant folder.

lockjaw said:

I'll move it.

Some posts can be placed in more than one category. We look for the intent of the post... A post with only a photo and no text explaining the intent of the post, will sometimes get moved.

Is the post mainly to show that it was built from a kit? In that case it might get moved to the "Gunbuilder's Bench".

If it is to show something uniquely "Smoothbore", then it should go in the smoothbore category.

It's also a "flintlock, so the context of the accompanying text will sometimes decide where a post should go. With no text, it's sometimes hard to say which of several categories would be best.

Sometimes, if it's just a "hey, look what I have", it gets moved to Photos (the reason for that category).

There's the other side of this... We also get complaints that people go into a category, expecting to get "information" about that category and they find photos of people's gear, with no information, other than, "Hey look at this".

In defense of the Moderators - Running a forum is not an exact science, everyone working here is working for free, and sometimes we make mistakes. Please try to keep that in mind.

...thanks, i thought more people would appreciate it here...i purposefully...(sp?)...left the description vague...it is a gun that i first built a few years ago and have recently tinkered with...using some of the knowledge i gleaned from this smoothbore area...to slim down the profile and shape the buttstock more like a 18c gun...following the pics in hamilton's book...within the limitations of the kit...ie...large diam ramrod...caywood's stock profile...also i scraped the stock...no sand paper...it left the maple stock with open pores more like walnut...i like it...stained it with an old bottle of birchwood casey colonial red...finished it with watco oil...all steel was done with bleach and a nasty concoction i have used to oxidize gold with (am a goldsmith not a gunsmith:bow:)...thanks for looking

Last edited by a moderator:
In defense of the Moderators - Running a forum is not an exact science, everyone working here is working for free, and sometimes we make mistakes. Please try to keep that in mind.
Which I understand completely and so never made a big deal about it. :thumbsup:

..the gun is caywood's version of the o'connor gun pictured in hamilton...the story goes the gun is british with french influences to appeal to the indian trade after the french/indian war...i stained it with bc colonial red
...found an old bottle at a shop a few years ago...no longer available...

I love the color or the stock, if I had to make any changes to mine that would be the only one. I hope you enjoy shooting yours as much as I do mine. :thumbsup:

...i do enjoy shooting it...never fails...even tho' it's not kosher...:haha: the externally coned touch hole is great!...excellent lock too...

You put the lock on the wrong side!
Just kidding :grin: . I'm a lefty, too. It really does look beautiful. Great job!

Back