• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My 1st Ruger Old Army

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not quite though that is part of it.

They refuse to die and they can get extremly violent. You bring it into the boat and you and the boat contents can go flying out. They have a wide body and all that flopping.

The bigger they are of course the worse it gets to where they can empty a multi passenger charter boat.

So you shoot it. Then wait a bit.

I was about 10 when the guy I was working for got one on a skate (line on the bottom with many hooks). He was an adult and it took both of us to get it up the side and into the boat. 100 lbs. From time to time you get 300 lb though anything over 20 lbs or so is dangerous in a boat if not dead.

My brothers caught one that was huge, not a clue as to weight, its saw the surface flash as they were hauling it up and it broke a steel fishing line. I was in another boat 200 feet away, we saw the 22 ft boat get violent (calm day) so we headed over.

They were was white as a halibut bottom. All they could say was it was a huge flash of white and was gone (for which we are all grateful!)

In theory it could have been a great white but they are not known in that area and it was a classic halibut hook, you are on the bottom, you get a hit and you start cranking it up (Halibut just tend to flatten so a lot of drab but not a big fight). Well until you get them on the surface

Its not unknown for them to see the flash of a boat trim tab and shoot up form 20-30 feet down and attack the tab. Very startling.

Last edited:
Can you please explain “Halibut gun”? Thanks.

Is it because they are so large they need to be shot to get in the boat?
Yeah,big Halibut are hooked, brought to the boat and shot before gaffing and dragging aboard. The best eaters are in the 30-60 pound arena but they can get up to 700 pounds. The smaller Halibut (20-30 pounds) are often called "chickens".

Last edited:
Some disagreement on what is good eating. Chickens were as good as 20-30 lbs ones . Only git one I was involved in went to the fish buyer. Lo many years ago and I don't remember weights but 50 lbs was huge and a lot of 15-30 lbs

I deeply regret not buying a shorter 5.5" Old Army when it was available for a LOW(er) price....

That said...

The standard Old Army's are muzzle heavy, and the shorter one handled really sweet -- very nice, in fact -- any chance you could cut the bulged barrel down? And what length barrel would you end up with?

And yes, you'd have to finangle (a fancy engineering word for "make it work") a solution for the loading lever.

Just a thought............

Old No7

ps: Did anyone ask... "How does it shoot?"

Last edited:
This is an old trick used when draw filing a barrel to get it flat and level removing all the radial imperfections that show up when ⁿlooking down barrel at open sights..

I tried taking pictures again, but couldn't see the bulge.

Looks like bulge is located where 'Inc.' is stamped in the barrel address.
Explanation for those not aware;
Barrel bulges occur when a low-charge is fired & the round doesn't leave the barrel, when
the next round is fired & collides with the stuck ball the barrel will bulge or burst if there is enough pressure.
Had this occurred with a smokeless powder firearm with higher pressures the bulge would be much bigger or worse.
Relic shooter

Thanks, I was assuming that's what happened, a squib load the another normal load by a previous owner. Glad you confirmed it. 👍

I did find a post where 45D stated the barrels , rifling and pitch were the same in the ROA and .45 Colt Ruger barrels.

I've read that on the Ruger Forum. It was also mentioned that a 3rd generation Colt barrel (New Frontier) would work as the threads are 11/16x24 like the Ruger.

The standard Old Army's are muzzle heavy, and the shorter one handled really sweet -- very nice, in fact -- any chance you could cut the bulged barrel down? And what length barrel would you end up with?

And yes, you'd have to finangle (a fancy engineering word for "make it work") a solution for the loading lever.

Just a thought............

Old No7

ps: Did anyone ask... "How does it shoot?"

Shortening the barrel was my 1st thoughts too, but it would be too short as the bulge is about 1/2 way down the barrel. I would have loved to cut it to 5.5 if it would have worked out that way. I wouldn't really want any shorter than that.

I have yet to shoot it. Looking forward to it. The 1st pistol I ever shot was a ASM Remington 1958 copy. I was a little guy back then, Dad loaded it up and let me fire a few.

I tried taking pictures again, but couldn't see the bulge.

Thanks, I was assuming that's what happened, a squib load the another normal load by a previous owner. Glad you confirmed it. 👍

I've read that on the Ruger Forum. It was also mentioned that a 3rd generation Colt barrel (New Frontier) would work as the threads are 11/16x24 like the Ruger.

Shortening the barrel was my 1st thoughts too, but it would be too short as the bulge is about 1/2 way down the barrel. I would have loved to cut it to 5.5 if it would have worked out that way. I wouldn't really want any shorter than that.

I have yet to shoot it. Looking forward to it. The 1st pistol I ever shot was a ASM Remington 1958 copy. I was a little guy back then, Dad loaded it up and let me fire a few.
So how about shotenening to 5 1/2 and then freebore past the bulge?

So how about shotenening to 5 1/2 and then freebore past the bulge?
I can't advise shooting a bulged barrel as it may have some internal cracks formed that cannot be observed short of magnaflux checking. I don't see any reason it could not be relined though with complete safety.

Nearly bought one years ago at a gunshow, dealer offered to hold it for me. Told him no, if it's still there after I make it around, I'll buy it. It sold shortly after I walked away. Lesson learned. This one came from Packrat, it has it's issue, the barrel has a bulge in it. I knew it when I bought it, price was fair so I'll likely have it fixed when the part becomes available. I'm on an email list for a barrel, s 3rd generation Colt barrel will fit, but I'm waiting on a new blank barrel to have it turned and installed. I will likely shoot it in the mean time to see how well it shoots.

Looking forward to reading more about the ROA here on the forum!

Here is a picture of it with my deceased buddy's Civil War holster / belt rig. I thought they looked well in the picture together.

View attachment 292248
Before wasting $$$ and time I would suggest just shooting this ROA first. Unless you are a high level match shooter you will not likely notice any accuracy problems. It should shoot about as well for you as a modern .44 or .45 caliber...c

Yeah,big Halibut are hooked, brought to the boat and shot before gaffing and dragging aboard. The best eaters are in the 30-60 pound arena but they can get up to 700 pounds. The smaller Halibut (20-30 pounds) are often called "chickens".

How strange is is to read about HUGE halibut. Even odder that they fit so neatly on my dinner plate, covered in batter and right alongside fries and tartare sauce.

How strange is is to read about HUGE halibut. Even odder that they fit so neatly on my dinner plate, covered in batter and right alongside fries and tartare sauce.
I remember once when my family was visiting and we went down to Seward AK for a whale watch cruise. When we got back in the evening we decided to hit a restaurant down on the wharf and along comes a fisherman down the board walk with two probably 50 pound Halibut in a wheel barrow and my relatives about swooned.
That's pretty much a normal day in this country though and not a very big deal to those of us who have lived in AK for decades.
I still get up and have to remind myself to look around at the mountainous back drop and sky line , Cook Inlet and the ride down Turnigan Arm for the natural beauty we have gotten so used to and take for granted .

Before wasting $$$ and time I would suggest just shooting this ROA first. Unless you are a high level match shooter you will not likely notice any accuracy problems. It should shoot about as well for you as a modern .44 or .45 caliber...c
I agree with this gentleman.

At one time I owned a Ruger unmentionable single action whose bore diameter was .357". I bought it used with it's 6 1/12" barrel very slightly bulged at the halfway point. It was so slight that I did not even realize it until cleaning one day and saw the ring in the bore. As stated earlier in this thread, the bulge was far more evident looking down the barrel than looking on the outside.

I shot that gun for years with good accuracy and no issues.

Looks like bulge is located where 'Inc.' is stamped in the barrel address.
Explanation for those not aware;
Barrel bulges occur when a low-charge is fired & the round doesn't leave the barrel, when
the next round is fired & collides with the stuck ball the barrel will bulge or burst if there is enough pressure.
Had this occurred with a smokeless powder firearm with higher pressures the bulge would be much bigger or worse.
Relic shooter
thanks bud for explaining that. i was wondering about the bulge. honest truth i wouldnt have noticed it in the pic until explained about it.had to get my reading glasses and it was still hard to see. im learning

Not quite though that is part of it.

They refuse to die and they can get extremly violent. You bring it into the boat and you and the boat contents can go flying out. They have a wide body and all that flopping.

The bigger they are of course the worse it gets to where they can empty a multi passenger charter boat.

So you shoot it. Then wait a bit.

I was about 10 when the guy I was working for got one on a skate (line on the bottom with many hooks). He was an adult and it took both of us to get it up the side and into the boat. 100 lbs. From time to time you get 300 lb though anything over 20 lbs or so is dangerous in a boat if not dead.

My brothers caught one that was huge, not a clue as to weight, its saw the surface flash as they were hauling it up and it broke a steel fishing line. I was in another boat 200 feet away, we saw the 22 ft boat get violent (calm day) so we headed over.

They were was white as a halibut bottom. All they could say was it was a huge flash of white and was gone (for which we are all grateful!)

In theory it could have been a great white but they are not known in that area and it was a classic halibut hook, you are on the bottom, you get a hit and you start cranking it up (Halibut just tend to flatten so a lot of drab but not a big fight). Well until you get them on the surface

Its not unknown for them to see the flash of a boat trim tab and shoot up form 20-30 feet down and attack the tab. Very startling.
if i would have been in that boat with that big of a fish. i would scream out. TAKE ME TO DRYLAND. PLEASEEE. LOL

Yea, most fish once landed lie there gasping. Halibut go into a death throes often enough to want to shoot them (depends on the size of the boat landing them as to what size you shoot). Their death throes is amazing to see even with a smaller one (we did not shoot the smaller ones but we did throw them into a section of the boat and stay away from them). I would have go guess the one my brothers hooked was 700+ and one like that would simply break a skate line (anchor at each end, lots of hooks and bait on a line laying on the bottom - the one I was working was illegal but back in the day you did what you could to make a living!)
At a guess anything 20 lbs you could bring into a boat. I don't think we landed anything over 30 lbs (other than the dead one off the skate). We left some to dangle and some got a hook through the head (I never was on a boat that had a gun to shoot them but it was common)

I was asked what I don't like about the ROA cylinder system.

I can add into that, you can loose your rammer! Cease fire and I was working to remove the cylinder per range policy, sudden let go and I never saw where the rammer went.

We looked on and off and could find hide nor hair of it. Snow lateral to the shooting bench. I got one on the way but all that monkey motions link wise is a bit annoying and you can add in a flying rammer (if I had seen the direction we could probably have found it). It will probably show up come spring.

Ok, note to self, slow down and contain all three parts.

Didn't have any natural light by the time I got off work and finished working on the house. I tried to get a picture with a work light on a shelf in an attempt to mimic the window with natural light. I can see it, but then again I know the location of the bulge. Look by the INC. stamping on barrel.

I tried an old trick I was taught at the St. Louis Chrysler Training Center (AKA the parts warehouse) next to McDonnell Douglas just off McDonnell Blvd. The trick was taught to us mechanics as a quick check to verify a valve was straight before we took the time to grind it. Use the tips of your fingers and run then down the lenght of the barrel. Any difference, bend, bulge or otherwise is easily felt. I later learned this method was used in some manufacturing facilities during WWII. I can take a picture later with my calipers if anyone is interested.

View attachment 292436

View attachment 292437

View attachment 292438
Ok, I got out in the shop today and did the measurements on my 1976 Centennial model ROA.
The groove diameter is .451, bore diameter .442 and the pitch was 1 in 18 near as I could tell checking twice with a Lewis lead remover and brass patch which holds the rifling well when traversing for measurement.

I see no reason the 76 Centennial would be any different than other ROA and 1-18 is the listed twist.

I have checked my other BP revolver (two, one a 76 and other a 2023) and both are 1-30 (or close, both match the listing)

So far the ASP is the most accurate though not stellar and the Pietta NMA and the ROA have yet to yield anything remotely respectable.

Of course I lost my ROA rammer after the first cylinder today so did not get a chance to vary loads.

M. Deland is right, it could have issues you cannot see.

But, I sold a .38 to a guy who squibbed it and bulged his barrel, I was told that when he brought it back it shot as good as it had before the bulge.

Ok, I got out in the shop today and did the measurements on my 1976 Centennial model ROA.
The groove diameter is .451, bore diameter .442 and the pitch was 1 in 18 near as I could tell checking twice with a Lewis lead remover and brass patch which holds the rifling well when traversing for measurement.

Interesting information, tbe barrel I was looking at was 1 in 12. Thank you! I love those Centennial models, I have a Single Six in stainless.

M. Deland is right, it could have issues you cannot see.

But, I sold a .38 to a guy who squibbed it and bulged his barrel, I was told that when he brought it back it shot as good as it had before the bulge.

I agree his wisdom is sound.

To be honest I'm going to shoot it, we have a 3 day weekend coming up and I think I'll take advantage of it. It's not swollen much or I would have it magnafluxed. Used to do magnaflux in automotive to find cracks in cylinder heads. If it doesn't shoot well and it sounds like it might actually shoot well, but if it doesn't, I'm going to look into the liner 1st. Barrel replacement as a last ditch effort, only if it doesn't shoot or cannot be lined.

Back