• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloading the sport, hobby, or what you call it needs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akapennypincher

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Serious CPR

This is not rant, it is truth IMHO the sport, hobby, or what you call Muzzleloading is in serious trouble.

It needs promotion.

It need younger people getting into the hobby for no better words.

Kids can no longer build a Part Kit into a Rifle or Pistol in School Shop Classes, even if their schools still offer "shop"

Second Amendment Right are under attack by the same people who ignore mass killing by Vehicle & Alcohol Combinations Accidents.

Finding real black Powder is hard for sale.

I honestly do not see much hope for the next 20 years.

IDEAS?????

Start showing the TV series Daniel Boone. Bet many of us remember the shows and the use of smoke poles. :)

Exactly where I got hooked! And then I got a paper route and the pressman was into BP and took me shooting. Now I have more guns than he did!

Maybe write to the producers of sponge bob and have em do a few episodes with muskets? That may work to "spark" some interest. You'll note the good ol shows are no longer shown. Not nasty enough.

Best thing I've found so far is to drop my nose a few notches and shoot with some of the "kids" shooting the modern variety.

Most of them don't fire as many as 10 shots a year. Doesn't matter to me that they show up for our shoot with their whizbangs. In the span of one range session, two at most, they're shooting the spare traditional I brought along. My components they're shooting are a good investment, I figure. So far I'm batting 1000 in converting them to traditional. Once they see how easy, cheap, fun and effective it is, they're hooked.

After all, they've already made a choice for "muzzleloading" in buying their modern thingy. Pretty easy to see where they're already in the system and only need a little education.

Two places where we muzzle loading enthusiasts can pass on some of our knowledge and experience: Hunter Safety training, and Boy Scouts/4H camps. Yes, they have rules which make it a bit bothersome but the light in the kids' eyes is worth it. Few muzzle loading clubs invite teens to shoot at a "beginners" table, because the "Geezers" there don't want to give up any time or their precious components for a kid that isn't related to them. A sad cry from 50 years ago when I learned from the "old guys" at the shooting club I joined.

Collectively as muzzle loaders WE have failed to propagate our sport/hobby/lifestyle (pick your term).

My two kids, now both in their mid/late 20's don't hunt, shoot or spend anytime away from the concrete jungle where they have chosen to live as they get on with their lives.

That is MY FAULT for not instilling a love of hunting/shooting. And I've got the same excuses as many - was too busy, not around enough, had other things to do - blah blah blah.

We have collectively turned into a group (not everyone but enough) who has chosen to let "society" dictate what younger people "want/need/feel/think", our job was finished after creating the kid in the first place (sound harsh? you need look no further than the current generation of "breeders" who think corporations or the government should provide care/daycare for their kids from the moment they can walk until they are finished post-secondary education).

So if a Davy Crockett, Daniel Boone series was somehow redone Dr. Phil and 20 other experts would be telling parents how it should be banned because it would turn their kids into mindless "killers" and PETA would protest because "old Danny kilt a defenseless bear" - better to sit them in front of a video game, while eating "vegan certified" snacks, that teaches them to shoot the enemy or steal a car - after all, EVERYONE know's that's just "pretend".

And besides, unless you can load and shoot a muzzle loader with an APP, there is little chance these little darlings would put their cell phones down long enough to actually take a shot....

(do I sound "jaded"?? :rotf: )

Everything cycles and it all has to do with money.
Traditional Muzzleloaders began to die out in the early 1990s accentuated by the rise of the “modern muzzleloader”. Now the modern ML is starting to slowly fade. Stores are carrying less and less. I see modern ones sit on store shelves for years now. The local Cabelas has so many for so long in the warehouse that they are rusting in the boxes. Many modern shooters are switching to traditional guns. It’s just a matter of time. If this forum is any indication, then I would say the sport is growing.

akapennypincher said:
I honestly do not see much hope for the next 20 years.

IDEAS?????
Try attending a local Rendezvous, or join a local gun club.
You'll suddenly find yourself surrounded by people that enjoy, support teach and propagate amongst their youth all manner of shooting sports.

I read this all the time on this forum, the sport if far from dying around here.

It's the same as quilting, you'd think now one does it anymore until you go to a quilt sale,,
Or bikers are a dying breed, until you go to a rally.

Point is if someone is going to isolate themselves then of course they won't find like minded people.

The interesting thing is it's just a natural cycle of life and living. We teach'm at a young age, bring'm alone to events and share all this stuff. Then life happens to young people, they get involved with jobs, relationships,,, finding themselves in the world. The things we did isn't lost it's just gone down the list a bit, when they get a little more settled they come back,, it's all about,
well,,
Life.

Muzzleloading is an addiction. Once you have caught the fever, you will never be the same again.

I am one a very few that will fire a flintlock at my gun range. When I do fire it, most of the other people on the line will stop what they are doing, just to watch the smoke and fire breathing monster.Fathers will bring the young'ns over to watch and ask questions.

But most of the muzzleloaders at the range every fall, just before deer season, are those horrible plastic stocked firearms. We will not speak of them.

Shucks, you gloomy guys make me happy that Hollyweird didn't push anymore of those Hawaii and California detective shows. We might all be checking our combs for grease or else runnin' around in grass skirts poking each other with sharpened fronds.

For the most part when my little boy sees me enjoy something he joins me. He is 4 its my job to teach him the skills. He has a little plastic Hawken that loads rubber bullets from the muzzle. He spent the whole day hunting an inflatable joke deer head I had in the cellar. :thumbsup:

The major rebirth of muzzleloading that occurred in the 1960's and 1970's came about in a vastly different world. Guns were not the evil they are today. No one was complaining about violence on TV. Far fewer children grew up in households headed by single women. Hunting was still considered by most citizens as an honorable pastime. Kid's time was not planned out with soccer schedules Spring Summer and fall. Stranger danger was nearly nonexistent,

The media is somewhat tamer than the old days, kids growing with female head of households are less likely to take up hunting or shooting. Computers, video games and air conditioning keeps kids indoors.

Heck our fearless leader wants to raise the minimum wage to $10 per hour. I can't find kids who will help bale hay in the summer for that pay. I found one kid that doesn't mind hard hot sweaty work at $11 per hour. ( he hustles and is worth it) but most kids shy away from physical labor like it is a plague. We may think a day in the 30's is a good day to be outdoors, but they are so conditioned to room temps, they won't go outdoors.

Sounds like a well raised happy lil guy! I used to spend the entire summer riding my bike and playing with cap guns. When I saw Daniel Boone (Fess Parker) I got a cap muzzleloader and a coon skin cap at Disney Land and that kept me going till dark all summer long!

I honestly do not think if them made another movie, or TV Show were smoke pole were used, it would increase the amount of people going out to purchase a Traditional Muzzleloader. If so it would only flash in the pan like a fad.

Muzzleloading be it at local, state, regional, or national level needs be promoted. People need the opportunity to try and shot one, try, and load one, and be invited to a local club that has loan gun program, ball, powder, and wiling instructors.

That is how I got to shoot my first muzzleloader back 50 years ago. I was at the local shooting range, had finished my NRA Smallbore thing. Saw black smoke in the distance. Wonder over to the range were a group was having a practice shoot.

Stood there watching. Than some one ask if I would like to try, and I replied yes. Net thing I was doing was shooting a Civil War Surplus Musket.

Got hook on the Black stuff, and smoke poles. bought my own Civil War Surplus Cap & Ball Musket. Flinters are more FUN!

I don't know that there is a simple answer. I do belive ml'ing, as an avocation, will always be around as a niche activity. What was said about modern kids is true. But unsaid is that there are still many being raised in small town America and on farms, etc. All is not lost but society's make-up is changing. Other factors come into play. My best friend, and a member of my ml club, has brought several grandchildren, nephews, etc. to our club. They had a great time and most shot so well it was embarrassing to us experienced old timers. But, every one has had to move out of the area due to divorces, custody battles, etc. Not unusual these days, unfortunately. Just like inviting folks to your church, recruit by example. Eventually, you will gain a new ml'er.

:confused: This issue is not only with muzzleloading. When I am not shooting I am fishing. Our club tries to promote fishing to the kids. Last year we had 205 kids come to the kids fishing clinic on a Saturday morning. How many of these kids went fishing last summer? Only those who had a parent or grandparent take them. Same for muzzleloader shooters. I have three grandsons age 4 to 8. I have a BB gun and a target in the basement which they shoot at. I am with them whenever they shoot. We have taken the two older girls to rendezvous. Both have shot BP. Still if given a choice they will be on the computer or with some other devise to entertain. When we were children there were not all of these distractions that parents use for babysitting. The parents just said get out of the house and play. We had to be creative enough to figure out what to do. Today parents have to fear some pervert will do something to their kid so they keep them home. Clubs are important but one on one with grand kids or one of your friends kids may be our way to go. Thanks for readings this post.

Sometimes we kind of do it to ourselves. There was a thread about a new movie coming out and several people said they wouldn't see it because it was "Christian". So people won't see it because of one thing they don't disagree with even though it's probably based on the reality of the times. Now I will admit I won't go see certain actors based on their bias, but I don't want to get into religion or politics.

Maybe the gamers should develop a good video game based on the revolution, CW, D. Boone or D. Crockett along the lines of Call for Duty, etc.

:2

It is not 1933, it is 2014, and people have more things they can do with their extra money like go to Disney, Sea World, watch 300 Plus Channels on TV, go to WrestleMania in New Orleans, and this is all competition to shooting sports.

I don't see a very bright future for our sport. The newer generation want instant gratification.(reward)so won't spend any extra time on anything. A muzzle loader club in an area would be a good start. But then the new comers would then see the old timers argue over Round ball or Conical. So I expect 20 years is a good guess on the time line for our sport. Larry

To no one in particular;
For those that see the sport dying,
You guy's must live in a closet and/or have a dim view of the people around ya.
Each year the `vous I attend get another camp or two, kids running all over the place, flatlanders are always asking how to get into this stuff.

For what I know Dixie Gun Works and Track of the Wolf are far from going out of business. There are Traders at local `vous that make a full living pandering their goods, with no end in sight.

Membership's are capped at private shooting clubs with 2-3yr waiting lists,,
Computer gaming? You can go to Walmart and still find "Hunting" games still on the shelf (they're selling).

maybe when your at a Rendezvous, reach out to others instead of sittin in camp waiting for the next shoot, grousing at folks because they don't have the proper gear..
Point is,, If your not finding people that are entering this sport,,
Your not looking.

Back