• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloading in Finland

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartg

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well guys, I'm not sure exactly where to post this but...

...I've received a promotion and 2 year job assignment to Helsinki, Finland to work at the corporate office. My family and will be leaving this coming Saturday. With the preparations for moving, I have not had time to research much on muzzleloading there, but was wondering if we have any forum family over there? I'm not sure how I'm going to do with the inability to smell black powder smoke :shake:

The good thing is that in most countries, there is a way to do muzzle loading. Even the really tough gun control countries, like Japan. There may be some restrictions on foreigners (you) owning them, firearms storage and on powder however. I'm sure a well placed call to the Finnish consulate in your home state would yield the correct answer(s).

Hyvää Päivää {good day or hello in Finnish}. I think you'll find the gun laws in Finland pretty liberal. For more info e-mail Riku Siiskonen who shoots MLers and also hunts w/ them..... [email protected]

Haven't contacted him in quite awhile, but he should have the info you require. He does speak English.

The summers in Suomi {Finland} are nice...winters pretty dark. Very prosperous country w/ a very high standard of living....on an average, probably higher than the USA.

English is widely spoken....mainly w/ the younger generation. Enjoy your stay....Tervesiin..{regards}.....Fred

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, thanks Fred! I will send Riku an email.

My wife and I went to Helsinki over Thanksgiving for a house hunting trip, and really loved the country...despite the cold, cloudy weather.

You should contact Kari (Axman) He is a member of the AMM. He often comes over the pond for the Eastern. his E mail is [email protected] . Just tell him Ramrod referred you. We camped together at the 2013 Eastern and he has my old trade gun and I have one of his knives and hawks. He is a good man to know and loves to talk buckskinning. You might even get the chance to attend one of their rendezvous.Yea they do rendezvous in Finland. :idunno:

Plus A10000000000000 on the ax man. My kids call him Papa he and his son Frank(Puki)are my family's great friends. They have been to my home after they go to the eastern a few times. They will set you on a good Path on muzzleloading in Finland. If you like you Can tell them the King (please don't ask) said to get in touch with them. And if you do tell that lying drunken Swede I send my love LOL.

I sure do appreciate it, gentlemen! The moving company comes tomorrow, so reality is definitely setting in!

Moose in Swedish (which is an official language of Finland)and Norwegian are called Alg. (A with the oomlats over it and pronounced "aelye". They have red stags there too, and those are called Krun Hjort (pronounced "kruun yort"). Roe Deer are called Hjort.

stuartg said:
The moving company comes tomorrow, so reality is definitely setting in!

I have opened a lot of overseas cans full of House hold goods.....leave the vinegar, cooking oil, and aerosols behind.

One broken bottle of say vinegar (or olive oil, or wd40) will get into a dozen boxes & stink up all your clothes & things like the sofa, mattresses, pillows :barf:

Approx. 5-10% of Finns speak Swedish and most of these also speak Finnish. The 2 languages are very different....Swedish is a Germanic language while Finnish is an Uralic language.

In Finnish {Suomeksi}
moose....amerikanhirvi
elk....hirvi
deer.....peura
woodcock....lehtokurppa

Approx. 40,000-50,000 moose are shot each year and the hunting licenses are the property of the landowner....to give or sell to whomever. The number of licenses are determined by the gov't after a survey, considering the number of elk present and acreage. My cousin usually receives 6 licenses.

Dogs are used to chase the elk out of the very thick cover in which they take refuge......Fred

I can't even imagine! Yikes! The movers are here today and they won't even take liquids...most likely for that reason.

That's interesting information Fred. Thank you. I studied Turkish for a few years, and found that a pretty hard language. (Much harder than Swedish for an English speaker to learn.) Turkish is related to Hungarian, Russian, and Finnish.

Just a friendly warning about their coffee. They like it really strong. Finnish joke: "What do American coffee, buddwiser, and the Titanic state room have in common ? They are too close to water! :rotf: :rotf:

I work with a bunch of Germans too and they call our coffee brown water hahaha! Their coffee will certainly get ya going.

Well, tomorrow is the big day. We leave around 10am. After I get over the jet lag I'll be sure to check in and post some pictures. Thanks for everyone's help on the contacts. They'll be getting an email as soon as I get the wife and kids settled.

Latest posts

Back