• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

mule ear lock sources -again

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rayb

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I swapped for part of a navy arms kit, apparantly it was originally sold as a "Country Boy" kit. I believe it originally came with a mule ear lock. I have:
1. what appears to be a 32 caliber barrel, breech plug installed, but no hole drilled for the nipple. 2. A plain stock, already inleted for the barrel, trigger, trigger guard and lock. Stock has a plain brass buttplate. 3. a brass trigger guard and a pewter colored nose cap.

What I don't have is a lock and trigger (or anything else for that matter). Anybody know of a source for a lock that might fit this kit? I should have included some measurements, but the part are locked up in a storage shed right now.

Saw the previous posts about mule ear lock source & Pioneer arms, looked at the Pioneer web site but think what they have is probably too big. Also tried searching internet, not much help there. Wrote to Navy Arms, they said they didn't have anything, and to try Numrich. Didn't see anything there either.

So maybe i will try to build it myself. Kind of scary since my "skills" are more of the farm & ranch fence building level. I'm sure not a cabinetmaker. I have "assembled" 2 or 3 kits, but they weren't anything to brag about, very basic stuff.

Some kind of "reverse engineering" from the inleted stock could get the lock plate itself, but i don't have a clue about the rest of the lock and how it should work. Same for the trigger.

I've only got $25 in this, but hate to not try to get it to shoot.

Any ideas??

Rayb

Rayb,

A friend and I was given the opportunity to take a NA country "Poor" Boy rifle apart. In part to clean it for the owner, but also to get a look at the lock. We took it down to components. made measurements and tracings, < where we could > Then I went home and generated a parts sheet.

While they can be somewhat difficult, at times, they are really not that hard to build. ( the back-action muley, I built for my gun, was made using nothing more than files, chisels, hacksaw and a small drill press.. the metal came from a weld shop's cast off pile.. )

If you send me your e-mail addy, I could send it your way?
always glad to help, where I can.

Respect Always
Metalshaper
::

Metalshaper...send him the two plans I sent you..sounds like what he is looking for......Wulf

Wulf,

I actually have the parts measurements/schematic, made from an actual NA "Poor Boy" muley lock.. I went ahead and sent it to Rayb.. I'm thinking maybe he could use it to refit/complete his gun??

If he needs it, I could always send him the stuff you sent,, and some others I have gathered!! Thanks for the help!!

Respect Always

Well, the drawings came through very nicely as well as the other pictures. Put a drawing scale to them and they scaled just right. Very good work on those drawings.

Now i have some guidance and direction.

Thanks metalshaper and wulf for your help.

rayb

Back