• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mowrey Nipple size

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topbike

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone know the tap size to clean out the threads on a Mowrey rifle nipple? I am assuming that it is not metric however not being especially mechanically inclined I thought I would ask the experts.
Thanks

If no one here knows, take the nipple to Lowes, or Home Depot and use their screw plates to determine the correct size. TOW and others have a number of slightly oversized nipples for use on guns whose threads are worn. If this is the case on your rifle, and if they have your size, the new, hardened nipples can be used to chase out the old threads and will result in a nice, tight fit.

Thanks to those who replied. The 1/4x28 info will allow me to get a tap and try to chase the threads. If not a viable solution the info from TOW is great. I never new I could get an oversize nipple so I may have to go that route.
The info on this site and the willingness to share is absolutely invaluable.
Thanks again, Topbike.

1/4-28 might be right but don't try to chase your guns threads unless they are badly damaged.

The chance of starting the tap slightly cross threaded is too great and if it is run in it will damage more than it would fix.

There is also the possibility that the threads are a #12-24. If they were and a 1/4-28 tap was run thru them the gun would end up with neither thread in the hole.

Before you do anything, do as frogwalking suggested and have the nipple threads measured.

Back