• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

mountain rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I was at Sportsmans Warehouse the other day looking over their ML, when I noticed one with a browned barrel, nice stock and A&H tag hanging off it. When I took a closer look I noticed it was an Italian barrel, when asked if they made these in .54 I was told A&H went out of business a year ago. I guess I didn't know A&H made traditional ML's. I was just wondering what your opinions where of this rifle?

Nice guns.
they closed out about a year back, so parts "could" be an issue. but how often do we break our guns?? :hmm: not real often. there are always replacement locks and trigger groups available in my opinion!

Word is that they're great. As mentioned, they're newly out of business. You might still be able to get parts from whoever's winding up business, so if you do get the gun, you might identify any likely-to-be-needed spare parts and see if you can track them down now. Of course, the attractive thing about muzzleloaders is that they're relatively low-tech, so there really shouldn't be any part on them that can't be jury-rigged in a blacksmith's shop. They're said to be very fine guns, however.

Seems to me, if I remember correctly, when A&H went out of business they were selling off all of their sidelock stock.

Several people here bought some of them and found their quality in these guns was rather poor and they couldn't get replacement parts.

If this is true, I would say that a person needs to look over the gun pretty carefully and make sure everything works like it should before plunking their hard earned dollars down.
zonie

Yup. That's the way I recall it too. But quality on the sidelocks was a bit spotty all through production from what I heard.

I have two A/H mountain rifles and have found them to be excellent guns. Locks and triggers are by Ardesa/Spain. They make parts for Traditions. Hence with a little crossover parts number legwork, you can get parts for A/H from Traditions. If anyone needs help getting parts for their A/H mountain contact me. It took me a year to figure this out, after having to call Spain!..........Ed

Whole stacks of AH sidelocks appeared in Sportsman's Warehouse just as AH announced they were going out of business. I'm betting they dumped most of their stock on Sportsmans, who's now willing to wait long and hard for the extra profit margin. There's also the chance that they're getting tired of looking at them, and you might pick up a deal if you asked. Point out to them that the company is out of business and you expect a big discount simply because no spare parts are available.

Worth a try, or keep your eye on the Sportsman sales. They're gonna dump them before long, I'm sure.

nigel said:
I was at Sportsmans Warehouse the other day looking over their ML, when I noticed one with a browned barrel, nice stock and A&H tag hanging off it. When I took a closer look I noticed it was an Italian barrel, when asked if they made these in .54 I was told A&H went out of business a year ago. I guess I didn't know A&H made traditional ML's. I was just wondering what your opinions where of this rifle?
this is taken from an a&h catalog on how there barrels where made.they found a small european company that had developed an extrusion method,by which the outside octagon and inside rifling where formed simultaneously.the result is a barrel of near perfect conformation.
bernie :thumbsup:
IMG_0001-16.jpg

Latest posts

Back