• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mortar

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Nice job on the trunnions and the elevation mechanism.
Sadly, the tube itself....if it is welded at all.....is the weak point. Also, the tube need not be that long. Soda can and golf ball mortars are typically quite short.
When you do make another, keep DOM tubing in mind and avoid the welds in other forms of tube.
Here is a pic of a little GB mortar, the KISS mortar, designed by one of the contributors to this forum (DD). There are a number of videos of it being fired available on YouTube.
Even scaled up, a soda can sized version would still be way smaller than your original.
Disassembled for cleaning:

Ready to fire:

Pete, confused since this is a separate post. Was it referring to the "fun mortar"? Yes, I agree, welds not so good an idea. At the low charge I don't worry, it pretty much just goes "poof", but the potential for a kaboom is there.

I love the shorties too. I've watched some vids of them, impressive for sure.

This was a "stand off scale" of nothing in particular, not for competition or anything. Just maybe something I saw on "Combat" as a kid :doh:

Looks like that mortar would be fun to shoot! Thanks for the disassembly pics, nice to see how they are pieced together.

Latest posts

Back