• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

More Traditional Silver Mounted Horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The raw horn had a thick tip allowing for a heavily carved throat. The horn is mounted fore and aft with sterling silver bands and strap swivels. The stopper is turned from ebony and the horn tip has a brass liner that prevents splitting. The base plug is turned walnut and is fitted with a threaded, wooden cascabel for easy filling. The engraved nautical chart is of the Chesapeake Bay area around Annapolis and is taken (including the antiquated spelling) from a map made of the area in November of 1769.

SilverMountedHorn3-1.jpg

SilverMountedHorn2-1.jpg

SilverMountedHorn4-1.jpg

SilverMountedHorn5-1.jpg

SilverMountedHorn13-1.jpg

SilverMountedHorn8-1.jpg

SilverMountedHorn9-1.jpg

SilverMountedHorn7-1.jpg

SilverMountedHorn6-1.jpg

SilverMountedHorn10-1.jpg

Totally awesome, magnificient, beautifully executed. A masterpiece of craftsmanship. :applause: :applause: :applause: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Wow that is absolutely fantastic! :bow:

It's too nice for me to carry I'd have to put that one up for just display.

Awesome work overall, I especially like the color and the scrimshaw work! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

That is a really nice job, I bet your proud she turned out so well! Where did you come across those metal attachments with rings?I would like to try a metal mount someday, but I am limited in funds and ability!
When makeing such a horn, how is the horn held?
I would like to hear more about the techniques used in the makeing~
And how do you keep the wife from nagging about the 'mess' made from it????

Kaintuck,

I custom made the sterling silver mounts and rings for the horn. There is no place to get this type of hardware, except to make it, that I am aware of. The parts around the horn were assembled from silver sheet and wire. The rings were cast.

To engrave, I usually hold the horn on my knee with my left hand while I make the cuts with my right. I use scribes,knives, and traditional gravers for this type of scrimshaw work.

As far as my wife goes, I make her a lot of scrimshaw jewelry like this:

SkrimshawforKristin.jpg

And silver jewelry like this:

IMG_3634-1.jpg

So I don't get any complaints about the other work that I do.

Dave C

AAHHHhhhh....Dave KNOWS the secret of making things at the kitchen table......J-E-W-E-L-R-Y!
:haha:
Nice work~I need to stock up on jackdaniels to steady my nerves enuff to do that small of work :surrender:
Thank you for shareing your work!

Back