• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Missed!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Headed out to an old, defunct, private vineyard yesterday morning. While coming in the drive, three doe kicked up from the southern fence line/hedge. Parked, finished dressing, and loaded up the .54 Rifle. Headed out.

I had a choice between the actual vineyard or the adjacent woods to the West. I chose the woods, as I had earlier in the year kicked up deer from an open area right next to the old vine-posts...just on the Eastern edge of the wooded plot where I was headed.

I tried creeping into the woods, but it's been so dry that creeping was nigh impossible. Four deer moved out as I entered, white flags raised high, but they didn't dash away. The only moved off at a quick walk. They had been bedded down on the Northern face of the hillside, where a tree had fallen last year. A nice place to cut the wind, and they'd probably be back.

So I settled in about 50 yards North of where they had bedded. I had a good view down the hill, even though "inside" the woods. The vineyard itself was to the East, and a nice tight hedge shielded me from view unless the deer came through one of the gaps they had made, and I had those covered from where I chose to set up.

The squirrels and bluebirds, titmouses, cardinals, and downy woodpeckers were quite busy. The breeze was to the west, and since that was the direction of a hardball road, AND it was rather close..., I didn't worry that much about scent. A deer coming from that direction I should pass on the shot...due to the risk of a miss or over-penetration tossing the bullet at the roadway. I picked a spot where the base of two trees was quite close so I could get in between them and mess up my outline. I also scraped the leaves from the base of the trees so I could change my footing or sit down, and not crunch crunch crunch when doing so. I felt good as I had gotten deer in that general area in years past.

A might chilly but not unpleasant, then at around 3:30 I heard a rustling to the North. Although the squirrels in that area were busy, this was different. Three doe had wandered over to where the four had been bedded that morning.

Unfortunately, due to the uneven ground, and the fact that they were on the opposite side of the fallen log, I had a very awkward position to bring the sights of my rifle to bear. I was using an irregular kneeling position to get a proper sight picture on the lead doe. Not quite a full and tight kneeling posture.

Just as I sqeezed off the shot my left foot lost just a teeny bit of traction and moved. It moved forward, so my elbow moved downward, and since my elbow was under the had that supported the forestock of the rifle, the muzzle dropped too. (RATS!) I pulled the shot low, and the three doe scampered off, unscathed, though the log between them and myself received a mortal wound. :redface:

OH well. I saw 10 deer, some amazing birds, and today and tomorrow it's raining hard..., which means on Thursday when the storm has passed, I will creep like a ninja on those wet leaves. :grin:

LD

Nice report, thank you for sharing!
There is always next time. Sometimes it just isn't meant to be.

Looking forward to your next report.
:grin:

Silex

Sorry you missed but hey you made a plan saw it through and was in place for the shot. You'll get one next time. Be sure to let us know. Dan.

Great story, loved reading it, sorry you missed, but that's why we call it hunting and not killing. You will get him next time.

Yeah, thanks folks. :grin: I was happy to find where the bullet went, instead of worrying all night and having to do a back and forth search looking for some sort of blood trail. I mean I won't simply assume that since I can't find a blood spot right where the deer stood that I "missed" so no harm/no foul. I did some tracking anyway, and was perplexed and worried that I'd shanked the shot and had a "hit" but a minor one..., then I went back to start tracking from the top, again, and found the bullet strike. So..., I can at least dig it out and melt it down and use it again.

LD

Don't feel bad, I missed a nice black bear last day of our hunt in virginia's early muzzleloader season, killed that laurel though........

Loyalist Dave said:
Yeah, thanks folks. :grin: I was happy to find where the bullet went, instead of worrying all night and having to do a back and forth search looking for some sort of blood trail. I mean I won't simply assume that since I can't find a blood spot right where the deer stood that I "missed" so no harm/no foul. I did some tracking anyway, and was perplexed and worried that I'd shanked the shot and had a "hit" but a minor one..., then I went back to start tracking from the top, again, and found the bullet strike. So..., I can at least dig it out and melt it down and use it again.

LD

And I thought I was a tight wad :thumbsup:

B.

Britsmoothy said:
And I thought I was a tight wad :thumbsup:

B.

Guess that makes at least three of us here. I try to save and reuse every piece of lead I can get my hands on. But if anyone asks, we aren't "tight wads", we are "precious metals investors and connosieurs"! Cause if a nice ML and some lead to shoot out of it isn't precious metals, then I don't know what is.

Congratulations Dave on a well crafted story of a successful hunt. A successful hunt doesn't mean that you have to kill something, other than time. I have had successful hunts without firing a shot. Keep yer powder dry.....robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the club...Some days are like that...
Your in their zone and will make it happen.
when things go wonky it forces me to fine tune my hunt.Now to find the time....Enjoy the next hunt...

Back