• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

minimum size of blanks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is there a resource I could review for the minimum size blank I need for a particular style of gun?

I keep seeing blanks for sale I am hesitant to pull the trigger.

My next build will be a fusil de chasse. Someday I would like to build a jaeger.

Thanks

Typically.. take length of barrel + length of pull+ 2" for "normal" locks.. most fowlers you can get away with 2" wide..I tend to like a touch more. All really depends on what you want to build.

Most people need around 2 1/8-2 1/4" drop at the comb for their eye to align with the sights / barrel. Since historical rifles' combs are angled, the drop at the heel will be greater than that. Figure in around 3 1/4"-4" in extreme cases. Add in your butt plate length; between 7" and 9". Since you are making a known gun with a known profile and hardware, the only variable would be for what fits you exactly perfectly.

Gunsmith of Grenville County has a good chapter on how to make yourself a good "try gun" out of plywood.

While not the same as shooting at Purdey's private estate with their try guns, it can get you in the hunt much better than just going with what's already made. Pay particular attention to cast off and twist at the toe as well for the particular style of shooting envisioned too. You want that barrel level when you mount it and are in position. I happen to like toe in for my slow fire target guns, straight for field rifles, and toe out for wing shooting.

For an early rifle I like at least 2 1/2" thick.. gives a bit to play with and cast .. most fowler butt plates are around 2" wide.. :thumbsup:

Back