• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Military heritage brown bess

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to know! I'll start small and see how well it performs. I can always step it up if need be
I have five Military Heritage smoothbore long guns that I vented with a hand held power drill.
I did start small and increased as I used the gun. I used number drills .70 to start went up two more sizes.
My guns had a groove in the plug face and I was able to drill through centered on the pan. I did however remove the breech plugs on several to slightly improve the access to the main charge.
If your vent does not give a nice bright light
You can improve the groove depth slightly depending on your satisfaction with ignition.
LBL

Hey all!
I ordered a military heritage brown bess on tues 1-9-24. I received this auto email the day I ordered, it is now 9 a.m. on Thurs no shipment confirmation as of yet and the money has not been pulled from my account. I will keep ya'll updated with confirmations and ship time as I go through the process!
*edit* my assumption is it will ship next Thursday 1-18-24
Hey Bigcountry_350sbc any too many others to quote/ reply to.
First let me say I have bought a Potzdam 1740 from Access Heritage that I'm very happy with.
Yes, you need to drill out the torch hole. Be careful. Things to consider.
They come punch marked for the hole, NOT IN THE CORRECT LOCATION! Mine and the ones I've drilled out for fellow compatriots were marked too low. Should be centered and even with top of pan.
While you can use a hand drill, a drill press is much better and remove the barrel from the stock. (There is actually a video of some country gentlemen (?) drilling these without even removing the lock!!!)
I use 5/64 drill. (These are military muskets not PA long rifles.)
All the muskets from AH I've drilled out all had this type breech plug, HOLLOW!
1705083529005.jpeg
1705083589275.jpeg

So you will drill through both. Also, see how rough the concave face is on this? I cleaned that up so I'd have smooth powder flow into the recess.
If you remove the breech plug, mark it first so it lines up properly when you reinstall it.
My compatriots and I have had good results with these. At least one (so far) has taken deer with his. Like all flint locks you have to figure out what they like. to get the most out of them. (Like a woman)
Congrats on your purchase and be careful with that firestick. Since this is your first, find someone locally that will go out and shoot with you the first time! TDY

Hey Bigcountry_350sbc any too many others to quote/ reply to.
First let me say I have bought a Potzdam 1740 from Access Heritage that I'm very happy with.
Yes, you need to drill out the torch hole. Be careful. Things to consider.
They come punch marked for the hole, NOT IN THE CORRECT LOCATION! Mine and the ones I've drilled out for fellow compatriots were marked too low. Should be centered and even with top of pan.
While you can use a hand drill, a drill press is much better and remove the barrel from the stock. (There is actually a video of some country gentlemen (?) drilling these without even removing the lock!!!)
I use 5/64 drill. (These are military muskets not PA long rifles.)
All the muskets from AH I've drilled out all had this type breech plug, HOLLOW!
View attachment 284843 View attachment 284844
So you will drill through both. Also, see how rough the concave face is on this? I cleaned that up so I'd have smooth powder flow into the recess.
If you remove the breech plug, mark it first so it lines up properly when you reinstall it.
My compatriots and I have had good results with these. At least one (so far) has taken deer with his. Like all flint locks you have to figure out what they like. to get the most out of them. (Like a woman)
Congrats on your purchase and be careful with that firestick. Since this is your first, find someone locally that will go out and shoot with you the first time! TDY
I appreciate the insight! I'll definitely clean up the breach plug face on mine

The punch mark they put for the touch hole is one of the most aggravating things to me, and one of the most important, which I completely failed to mention last night, as I was in a half-asleep stupor. It aggravates me, because new shooters may not know any better, and they all too often drill on that punch mark. It needs to be slightly above, as TDY said. Things like this just bother me, because probably 8 out of 10 times, someone out there is going to spend 600 to 800 clams or more on a musket and immediately drill on that punch mark.

I appreciate the insight! I'll definitely clean up the breach plug face on mine
If you are going to pull the breech plug, scribe a mark on it and the barrel to line them up to where they were. Also, don't be surprised at all the gunk in there. These are not high quality pieces. But they are safe if treated properly. TDY

So, as I understand, it is acceptable to drill through the breech plug threads into that smaller recess on these guns? I suppose it is really not a factor if the hole is drilled correctly and of the right size.

So, as I understand, it is acceptable to drill through the breech plug threads into that smaller recess on these guns? I suppose it is really not a factor if the hole is drilled correctly and of the right size.
On my 1733 French pistol I do have a recessed breech plug that I drilled through then removed the breech plug and notched it to allow good access to the main charge.
It really made for quick ignition.

Attachments

• IMG_3696.jpeg
    IMG_3696.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
All of this is making me want a Bess, I've never had one. I don't care for the straight stock on the Charlie with its cut-out, thinking a Bess might be better for a good cheek-hold. But maybe I'm wrong, I've never even held a Bess. It's that, or a smooth-Baker. Pretty sure the Baker will win for my purposes, short and handy for hunting. But I do love the pictures of Bess....

Last edited:
All of this is making me want a Bess, I've never had one. I don't care for the straight stock on the Charlie with its cut-out, thinking a Bess might be better for a good cheek-hold. But maybe I'm wrong, I've never even held a Bess. It's that, or a smooth-Baker. Pretty sure the Baker will win for my purposes, short and handy for hunting. But I do love the pictures of Bess....
Besses are now contagious!! :eek:

ETA: Personally, got this one on the want/lust list:

Brown Bess Flintlock Carbine (Black Powder Muzzleloader)

besscarbine1.jpeg

Though I'd do the 11BangBang's strip & refinish routine on the stock to lighten the color. Wood dependent, may slim down the forearm. Was thinking about pulling the barrel off & browning it; not unlike some of the pix I've seen of the Harper's Ferry Muskets. Yeah, Besses are contagious.

Last edited:
Try the 1728 French musket. It is a better gun in my opinion!!!
LBL

Back