• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Metal finish

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkmeyer

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Need some help with doing a gray finish on metal parts please.
Thanks,
Dusty

Gray is easy to do. Get some Naval jelly and put it on your part. Let it sit a few minutes and wipe it off, and you will have a nice, even gray color.

DO NOT put it on springs, or frizzens. Somehow, and it makes no sense to me, the stuff will embrittle springs enough to cause breakage, or so I am told.

Dusty Bob said:
Need some help with doing a gray finish on metal parts please.
Thanks,
Dusty

i used rags soaked in white viniger wrapped around my parts. got a bitchen damascus look, and it was dead easy. i let it soak in the sun for 2 days pouring viniger on when it would start to dry and rotate the parts so the sun would "burn the viniger in" so to speak. then i used 0000 steel wool and viniger to smoothe out the finish then wipe down with oil and VOILA!

gprfinish006.jpg

Back