• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

memorable rabbit hunt.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silent sniper

40 Cal.
Reaction score
i took my sister rabbit hunting for the first time. she decided to use a new englander 20 gauge single shot modern shotgun and i was going to use my double 12 muzzleloader.we got home from school and went out. we hunted for about 40 min and couldnt find a single rabbit. so we decided to go back home. we were about to give it up when i decided we should try hunting this little piece of woods behind our house. i took 10 steps into the woods and jumped a rabbit. i pulled the gun up, led the rabbit....and shot right as the rabbit went behind a tree :cursing: so i quickly ran around and tried scaring the rabbit back to my sister. i saw it moving her way then i heard her shoot. i walked over to her to find out that she had missed it as it ran by. so i walked over to where she said it went. i had just stepped on this steel pipe when i saw the rabbit running out of the other end. i cocked the other barrel and gave him a blast as he ran away. i could tell that i had hit him but it wasnt enough to stop it. so i stood there reloading when i hear my sister say that she sees it. i told her to shoot at it. i hear another shot and hear her say that she hit it. i heard another shot. i walked over to where she said it was. i saw it sitting there almost dead. i didnt want it to suffer anymore so i decided i would put a load into its head to finish it. i cocked both hammers, pulled the gun up, put the bead up the rabbits head, and pulled the trigger..BOOM ! as soon as i shot i heard something to my left take off. i turned to see another rabbit running away ! i quickly put the bead on it and slapped the trigger...BOOM!! through the smoke i could see the white of its belly moving as it twiched, laying on the ground. i couldnt belive it !!! my first double, with a muzzleloader, in less then 3 secs! it was awesome. the first rabbit was a combined effort from both me and my sister. it was a very large buck rabbit. the second one was a young buck rabbit. my sister was very excited. i taught her how to skin and gut the rabbit, butcher the rabbit,and clean the gun.next she is going to learn how to cook them. she is ready to go and get a solo rabbit. i think she is going to be a real good rabbit hunter.enjoy SS
here is my sister with her rabbit
12170916591.jpg

here is me with both rabbits.
1217091700a1.jpg

here is the double 12 muzzleloader with the cottontails.
12170917011.jpg

my load was 70 grains FF,OP wad,cushion wad,90 grains mixed shot,OS wad

Nice job!!! I occasionally do a little rabbit hunting with my .50 cal traditions kentucky. I went on a rabbit hunt today with my family but I didn't bring the ml. I thought about it but I am glad I didn't because I fell down several times and got snow all over my .22. I wouldn't want any of that to happen to my ml. Also pretty much all of the rabbits were running real hard and sitting real tight.

Good on ya SS. :hatsoff:

Give your sister a big ol Grats! too. :thumbsup: Before ya know it she'll be out-shootin' you. :wink:

Well your grampa couldn't be more proud to have you two for grand kids. Way to go. :thumbsup: Dilly.

Sounds like a couple glitches on taking the rabbits, but overall, something that will be an experience that you will remember for years to come. Congratulations on teaching your sister. Sibling rivalry can be a tough thing some times, so you better watch out. She may try to do better than you as somebody else said, and then will it be off to the races!

You also have demonstrated a care for ethics of hunting, too. Congratulations on that, too. :hatsoff:

Have a Merry Christmas and a fun dinner! :thumbsup:

The Doc is out now. :v

I wonder how much better our world would be if there were more kids like Silent Sniper. Instead of "hanging around" after school, he takes his kid sister our rabbit hunting. Good on ya SS.

Congratulation on your shared hunt..enjoy the time you spend with your sister now!..Take lots of pictures, you'll really enjoy them when your older.

Hunt hard.. hunt safe....Dan

SS you have done what the DNR is here in WV. They have a program called WOMEN IN THE OUTDOORS. Great of you to introduce your sister to the sport of hunting. Never no you might get a brother-in-law someday who will be a good hunting partner as well! :haha:

Nice job! Brings back memories of my own. Sometimes there are more than one and that confuses dogs. Being observant of rabbit tricks and habits and positioning yourself for a good shot is important. Keep up the good work.
:thumbsup:

Congrats...But next time you need to finish off a rabbit just grab a stick and use it like a "priest" and hit them in the head instead of wasting a shot in the head and making a mess of it.

Back