• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mead made simple.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TN.Frank

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Got this from a web site that I hang out on. Looks easy and like it'd be pretty good too. Enjoy.

Ancient Spiced Orange Mead

It is so simple to make and you can make it without much equipment and with a multitude of variations. This could be a first Mead for the novice as it is almost fool proof. It is a bit unorthodox but it has never failed me or the friends I have shared it with. Wikdwaze, you might like this one better than your Chaucer’s since it will be sweet, complex and tasty.

1 gallon batch

3 1/2 lbs Clover or your choice honey or blend (will finish sweet)
1 Large orange (later cut in eights or smaller rind and all)
1 small handful of raisins (25 if you count but more or less ok)
1 stick of cinnamon
1 whole clove ( or 2 if you like - these are potent critters)
optional (a pinch of nutmeg and allspice )( very small )
1 teaspoon of Fleishmann’s bread yeast ( now don't get holy on me--- after all this is an ancient mead and that's all we had back then)
Balance water to one gallon

Process:

Use a clean 1 gallon carboy

Dissolve honey in some warm water and put in carboy

Wash orange well to remove any pesticides and slice in eights --add orange (you can push em through opening big boy -- rinds included -- its ok for this mead -- take my word for it -- ignore the experts)

Put in raisins, clove, cinnamon stick, any optional ingredients and fill to 3 inches from the top with cold water. ( need room for some foam -- you can top off with more water after the first few day frenzy)

Shake the heck out of the jug with top on, of course. This is your sophisticated aeration process.

When at room temperature in your kitchen, put in 1 teaspoon of bread yeast. ( No you don't have to rehydrate it first-- the ancients didn't even have that word in their vocabulary-- just put it in and give it a gentle swirl or not)(The yeast can fight for their own territory)

Install water airlock. Put in dark place. It will start working immediately or in an hour. (Don't use grandma's bread yeast she bought years before she passed away in the 90's)( Wait 3 hours before you panic or call me) After major foaming stops in a few days add some water and then keep your hands off of it. (Don't shake it! Don't mess with them yeastees! Let them alone except its okay to open your cabinet to smell every once in a while.

Racking --- Don't you dare
additional feeding --- NO NO
More stirring or shaking -- Your not listening, don't touch

After 2 months and maybe a few days it will slow down to a stop and clear all by itself. (How about that) (You are not so important after all) Then you can put a hose in with a small cloth filter on the end into the clear part and siphon off the golden nectar. If you wait long enough even the oranges will sink to the bottom but I never waited that long. If it is clear it is ready. You don't need a cold basement. It does better in a kitchen in the dark. (Like in a cabinet) likes a little heat (70-80). If it didn't work out... you screwed up and didn't read my instructions (or used grandma's bread yeast she bought years before she passed away) . If it didn't work out then take up another hobby. Mead is not for you. It is too complicated.
If you were successful, which I am 99% certain you will be, then enjoy your mead. When you get ready to make different mead you will probably have to unlearn some of these practices I have taught you, but hey--- This recipe and procedure works with these ingredients so don't knock it. It was your first mead. It was my tenth. Sometimes, even the experts can forget all they know and make good ancient mead.

With bakers yeast you're probably looking at about 10% or 20 proof, about like wine. I've always shyed away from making mead because all the other recipes I've saw had you rackin' the stuff 4 or 5 times to get it to clear and it would take a year or more before you could drink it. This sounds like it'll be a lot faster and NO rackin'. I've got to find a gallon glass bottle(carboy) to get a batch started. This stuff sounds like it'd be good to drink around the fire at night.

As someone with 6 and a half gallons of meade fermenting in the kitchen it depends on how it is made as to when it can be drunk.

Now I make mine a natural way and it sits 6 months before the first rack, and I can rack it every day for a year and there will still be "mother" in the bottom but the meade is clear enough to read through. It is a wine and will mellow and get better with age.

Here is a site that has the basic formula and be ready in about 6 weeks.

Miki

:nono: to bread yeast. Sure youll get alcohol but it wont be great tasting. Be good and get some real yeast, say redstar montrachet or pasteur champagne yeast. Taste great when the fermentation has stopped and its been allowed to settle out.

natural meade is nothing more then honey with water, allowed to naturally ferment

:rotf: I've been using Bakers Yeast to make my 'shine for years now. YES, you'll get alcohol, the only difference between "Bakers" yeast and "Brewers" or "Wine" yeast is alcohol content that the yeast can tollerate. Here's a good web site for ya' to check out.[url] http://homedistiller.org[/url]/

Last edited by a moderator:
I make all my home made wine in a very simular fashion. Bread yeast works great, my dad swears by it, he's been making wine for 50 odd years. I however prefer to use Champane yeast (I hope I spelled that right?). The alcohol content can reach as high as 21 percent, about 40 proof. Talk about a buzz. I've currenly got 5 gallons of apple cider working and I'm starting 5 gallons of rice wine this weekend.
Rice wine is the real hard stuff. You make it with brown rice, sugar and this stuff called Koji. Koji breaks down the starch and turns it into sugar. The yeast breaks down the sugar and turns it into alcohol. Wow, now that's some high powered juice. I make it in a plastic bucket. You don't even have to cover the bucket if you don't want to. The CO2 forms a protective barrier.

Making wine is so simple, I can't understand why everyone doesn't do it. My dad uses a clean glass 1-gallon juice bottle. Use clorox to clean and be sure to remove all traces of the clorox or you're never grow yeast. You fill it with juice and about 2 cups of sugar water. (put 2 cups of sugar in a pan, mix in just enough water to form liquid, heat until it completley forms a liquid and let it just start to boil) Let it cool down. Throw in a teaspoon or so of yeast on top and cover with a rubber balloon. The bigger balloons work the best. 2 weeks later you have alcohol. Let it set for 1 day and you have a buzz, let it set for 6 months and you have some pretty decent wine. I've used lemonande, apple juice, tang, and even just straight sugar water. It all makes pretty decent wine. Any fruit can make wine, you just have to add one step to extract the juice by soaking the clean mushed fruit with sugar and water. Strain it, add yeast, put it in a glass bottle and your on your way.

Regards
Wounded Knee.

Latest posts

Back