• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Matchlocks are alive and well

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thornezilla

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Great links Thornezilla:

I'll add them to our links page and welcome to the forum...

Here's that image I tried to post earlier...

Spanish-style matchlock with external spring, made by George Silva of the SF Bay Area. George shoots at the Chabot Rifle Range, and most of his pieces have snapping locks and rifled barrels.

grgmatchlk1web.jpg

Thornezilla:

I have to say that is one nice Matchlock! :D

It is an interesting piece since I haven't seen any of the button trigger Snap-Matchlocks outside of old drawnings.

I saw a home-made snapper a while back when I was shooting at Chabot range. There was a guy there, you may know him. Short, bald, retired, always shooting matchlocks, very nice (helped me pull a stuck ball once in my flinter). I've seen him there a few times and always gotten good advice from him. I don't know his name, maybe it's the same guy...? He was shooting something interesting, and he let me shoot it. It was a creation of his own, with his own push-button lock, a .50 rifled barrel he had laying around, and an interesting blonde-colored laminated stock. I asked him what kind of wood it was. He said he made it out of an old pallet. Talk about creative!

Back