• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Matchlock Fantasy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdfdgfh

32 Cal
Reaction score
For some reason (I have suspicions about that), whenever we talk about adding guns to fantasy settings, things go straight to Napoleonic flintlocks ala McClellan or Wexler, or to weird west six shooters and repeater rifles.

Does anyone know of a story that uses matchlock arquebuses, which were utilized on the battlefield with plate armor for a century or more?

To clarify, you are talking about fantasy settings and not history/Alt history?

DnD has rules for matchlock guns

The Empire in Warhammer Fantasy is based on the renaissance Holy Roman Empire, so they have many gun armed soldiers. Sometimes they are depicted as using matchlocks. I think Games Workshop’s early molding technology didn’t allow the guns to have enough detail (bows didn’t even have strings) so the locks weren’t very clear and are often now depicted as flintlocks or wheellocks.
IMG_0120.jpeg

Last edited:
There are some short videos from full-length movies on youtube from the Far East which show battles with the opposing armies using matchlocks. Can't recall if its the Chinese or the Japanese, but someone else might be able to tell us which.

Old No7

That’s a portrait of Rudyard’s gun bearer when he goes out hunting far away from home…..🤣

Rudyard has lived so much life that any fantasy setting would be a downgrade
TobJohns only saying that because its true if they shot me tomorrow ide still have lived several lives , wasnt some grand plan I just followed my fancy & fate did the rest .More or less. My urge to travel hitching or freights and hedging & ditching got to be the norm but I met lots of folks of all stamps & nations. Met two Dukes & took tea with three Maharajas .Not quite" Shouted on 7 ounze nuggets or starved on a seedy boys pay " (Kilplings' Lost Legion' )but got that way some times Got some awfull maladies Malaria , black water fever (in Kathmandu) Tick bite fever,in Zulu land Burst Apendix in Invergargil and plenty I knew not what they where , But my poo came out like a green peanuts . once got yards of flatworms present from the Yucatan probably .Faced Bears & Amourus Moose .took deck passage on a Pilgrim steamer. Crewed a Cayman island tramp Puerta Cortez to Kingston . Fired a steam ex Corvette Brisban river to Singapore . Might be up there with Marco Polo in mileage & overlanding . Did 17 NMLRA Eastern R.vous & a raft of events & gun shows Got Commissioned a' Lt' in the then' Red hats, ' LT Mork' Lizards little jest because I added a bit of exotica probably, I don't know ,Lizard was Frightfully profane but got to love him for all that .Oh made over 200 MLs.Not counting 'in the whites'( At least three made national museums ). From the Klondike to Alice Springs & now over twenty years local SAR & C D radio checker & spells as local Counciler very nearly respectable same as Ben Gunn in a way .Must go Regards Rudyard

Multy full rows of ????s makes no sense must presume disinterest or dislike might be read as' fantasy' but it was what I did. sorry if it sits ill with you truth can be more. bizarre than fiction .Skite it might be, Fiction it wasn't . Rudyard

Back