• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mahogany as gunstock wood?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No expert here but I have used mahogany on furniture a lot. It is nice straight grain but is quite a bit softer than maple or even walnut. So durability, certainly dings etc may be a problem, especially for a real hunting, outdoors gun.
One good point, it would be really easy to carve. I have done some carving in mahogany and it is way easier than curly maple.

I got a Remington 1100 lightweight with a mahogany factory stock and it is light and soft - I would not use it for any gun build.

Hi,
Mahogany was used occasionally. Isaac Haines stocked two guns in it. However, mahogany is like black walnut, it is all over the map with respect to density and hardness. You would have to find a dense blank. I suspect Haines' rifles were made from Cuban mahogany, which was hard and dense but is now very rare. Most mahogany you find today is Honduras or the other species of Swietenia and it is generally softer. The only legally harvested wood is plantation grown and is not as dense and hard as the old-growth trees that were almost logged to extinction.

dave

Latest posts

Back