• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

made a new knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasontn

40 Cal.
Reaction score
back in the spring i got hold of an old case xx kitchen knife. it had a great profile and i set it in a piece of mule deer antler. i have posted images of it in the works plus finished. you guys gave me some good advice on fixing problems with it. i loved the feel and shape of the knife and have searched high and low till i found another just like it. i found one nearly i denitcal to it but with an 8 inch blade instead of the 10 inch. i had to sand off the chromium finish on it like i did the other. i accidentally forgot it outside, covered in naval jelly and the jelly dried up and turned to a black powder on the blade. it was in direct sunlight from sun up till around 2 in the afternoon. i figured it was a loss but it actually gave the blade damascus type etch. looks better than the pic shows. i took off the old handle and set it in a deer legbone. i bleahced the bone and used a cleaning brush for a .22 to clean out the insides of the bone. then i put it back in bleach to clear out all the remaining gunk. next i used about 3/4 of a .32 ball to make a bit of a weight and put it in the bottom of the cavity. after doing that i filled the whole cavity with epoxy and let it set up. using a pencil i drew lines for the tang slot and cut them with a large cut off wheel on my dremel. i located the holes on the knife tang ad transfered them to the bone and drilled holes for 1/8 inch pins, epoxyed the tang and clamped it up to set for a day. i took some of Wicks advice and got a deer rawhide to do the wrap with. i cut it to fit and baseball stitched it on and tucked the ends of the sinew under it so when it shrank it held them tight. i was able to use the entire factory tang on this legbone. its about 3/4 length of the handle. all i have to do now is stain it and make a sheath

newknife.jpg
[/img]

thanks a lot Tom i have been thru a ton of both styled handles and numerous blades till i found one i really liked. made 10 leg bone ones in the last few months till i found another case xx blade. i was always close but never there.

i think you should one to 82nd and one to me and we will test them so if anything is wrong you wont be the one cut ,and if the prove out ok 82nd will send you back his. :rotf: great job jason as always :bow:

Jason, It's been great watching your skills develope. You've become quite good at your bladesmithing! The knife with the deer leg really caught my eye. Nice looking blade and handle combination make for good form and shape, there is definitely an artist in there trying to get out. If you ever think about swapping for one like that , I'm sure I could come up with something you might like. :hmm: Wild Eagle

smo, i have considered using a jaw bone. heavy eagle, in the mountain men, has one made from the jaw bones of something and it looks interesting.
wildeagle thanks for the compliment. i been trying to refine what i do some and to make my stuff look a bit more proper.
thanks jason

Great work,Jason. :bow: :bow:
My favorite is the top one.I really love that style. :thumbsup:
:hatsoff:

Real nice work their Jason! :thumbsup:
I like them two probably better than any you have shown and you already had some nice ones! They turned out real good.

thanks guys. these are my favorites too cliff. i make some and think id keep it but so far havent held on to any but these. im always looking fo these old case xx they have an absolutely great profile and dont require any shaping of the blade.

i have used wood stain, leather dye, and rit dye on bone before. any of you guys use anything different? i have around a dozen of these i need to color up some and want to try something a bit different

Latest posts

Back