• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

lyman pistol vs pedersoli kentucky

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Hawken

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I havent't decided yet on which one to choose.Is the pedersoli worth the extra money?How are the quality and feel between the two pistols.This would be my first pistol.I would like to get a flint but have read some stock cracking issues with the pedersoli.I wont be using it for hunting just targets. Either one will be a .54 cal as i have all the supplies.

Mr Hawken said:
I havent't decided yet on which one to choose.Is the pedersoli worth the extra money?How are the quality and feel between the two pistols.This would be my first pistol.I would like to get a flint but have read some stock cracking issues with the pedersoli.I wont be using it for hunting just targets. Either one will be a .54 cal as i have all the supplies.

I am partial to Pedersoli and have both the Kentucky flint and pecussion pistols. I shoot them in the Traditional line matches and have done well with them. For some reason my scores with the flint are higher than the perc.

The workmanship and quality on mine are fine.

I have not heard of any issues with stock cracking.

Only you can answer the cost question, I bought Pedesoli since they have a following on the line.

If you can you, really need to handle each to see which fits your hand better. I had to have a trigger jobs done on mine.

If you are going to shoot just targets you might consider a 45 over a 54, food for thought.

I have held the Lyman pistol but I would have to mail order in the pedersoli. As they are from different stores
If I want to throw shipping cost away I can order the pedersoli to have a look and feel if it. As for the caliber the Lyman only comes in .50 and .54 and because I have all accessories for a .54 that's what I was going to go with. What's the trigger like on either one. Is the belt loop holder on the Lyman actually functionable

Mr Hawken said:
I have held the Lyman pistol but I would have to mail order in the pedersoli. As they are from different stores
If I want to throw shipping cost away I can order the pedersoli to have a look and feel if it. As for the caliber the Lyman only comes in .50 and .54 and because I have all accessories for a .54 that's what I was going to go with. What's the trigger like on either one. Is the belt loop holder on the Lyman actually functionable

To me, fit to my hand and balance of a pistol is important, that is why I suggested holding each if you can. I have 2 Charles Moore Pedersoli's, flint and percussion. You would think they would feel and balance the same, no, there is a small difference between them with the nod going to the grip on the flint, there is enough difference to notice.

Normally if someone says they want "X" caliber, I don't suggest anything else. In this one instance I suggested 45 since you mentioned targets.

I have never shot a Lyman nor handled one, so I cannot comment on the trigger pull. The 2 Kentucky's trigger pulls were too hard for line shooting. I took them to my gunsmith and he lighteded them as much as he could, my guess they are 2 1/2 to 3 pounds or so.

Lyman belt loop holder, I have no expierence with one and for me it would not be a safe way to carry a pistol.

Hope this helps.

I just completed a Lyman 50 kit from Midsouth Shooters Supply (the best online price at the time). I was very pleased with the fit and the completed piece is really nice after finishing it with real 100% tung oil. Lyman includes both parts where you don't have to use the belt hook- I left it off mine.

Dan

I've got a Lyman .50 that I haven't shot yet. Belt loop looks entirely functional and is how I plan to carry it while hunting.

Mine will be carried to deliver a quick finishing shot when deer hunting...as well as to have some fun at the range.

If you're a handgunner, I'd say you'll have to get used to whichever you buy. I'm a revolver guy and the Lyman is quite...different, but not bad. Seems like the more you handle it, the more natural it points and feels. Sights are more than adequate and trigger is middle-of-the-road (something you can easily get used to with dry-fire practice).

The Lyman reportedly has stock breakage issues too. They mainly occur when the gun has been overloaded or dropped on a hard surface. Since the .54 is the most powerful, it probably suffers more breakage from overloading.

On Edit: Rough handling during loading is occasionally a source of stock breakage, as well. This would be mainly from trying to get a tight fitting ball-patch combo down a fouled bore. Since the charges are light (compared to a rifle) and the ranges are short, the need for a tight fit is questionable. I plan to use an easy loading PRB combo with .010 patches at the outset.

I have the Pedersoli Kentucky and like it a lot. It seems to be a quality piece. The first three shots I fired were 2 1/2" at 20-25 yds. The out of the box trigger was awful. I guess it to have been around 12 POUNDS!! I oiled the trigger assembly and after cycling it a while, it's down to around 3 1/2-5 pounds. A good hunting trigger, but not for competition.
I haven't tried the Lyman pistol but I have several Lyman rifles that I think are well worth the money. I do wish the Lyman lock springs were as robust as the Pedersoli.

Quite heavy for a target pistol. I have a target pistol in .54 and a .45 TC Patriot which are both more accurate than I can take full advantage of.
I now have a couple of Yazels in .36 and they are a delight to shoot especially for long strings of match target work. The heavier the recoil the faster it fatigues you and makes your scores decline.
I think these to be one of the better target pistol calibers.
I don't think wind deflection difference is much of an issue at 25 and 50 yards these matches are shot at. MD

Pedersoli don't list the Kentucky as a target pistol ,but with some trigger work they can do well as you have stated , the Le page seems to be their most popular. I have borrowed a Moore to shoot a match and liked it very much (on the wish list now ) :)

I also have the Pedersoli percussion model. I took 3rd place in the Michigan territorial last year after only practicing for about 5 weeks (mind you there were only two of us competing LOL, JK :rotf: ) I really like it. A lot of fun to shoot. I would like to try the flint model, as I also have a Pedersoli Dixie Penn. flint rifle. No complaints about it that I have, I got it used for $120 on gunbroker last year.

I have a Pedersoli LePage in flint. It shoots better than I do. I have never shot much pistol in the past and have recently decided to reverse that trend. I have found that shooting both the 1858 Remingtons and the LePage has improved my abilities.

IMHO to accurately shoot a pistol you need an accurate pistol. A long arm is more forgiving, but the short barrel on a pistol will magnify every little mistake. I tried pistol shooting with a pair of Japanese Tower smoothbores and all that did was convince me that I couldn't hit anything with a pistol.

Many Klatch

Here in PA a black powder arm of any type has less utility unless it is flint. For a flint lock to be accurate, it must be a fairly high quality, with a lighter trigger pull than most production guns. That leaves either a higher end production gun or a custom.

Lyman guns are nice, but quality can vary immensely between percussion locks before a difference is noted, not so with flint.

Update i bought a lymans pistol and went to the range today.I'm very impressed probally shot 100 rb today and shoots great

Back