• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman Great Plains question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul_R

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I want to get a barrel scraper. Is the barrel rounded or square at the bottom of a GPR? Thanks!

Hi Paul. Lyman GPRs have a "patent" breech, meaning they do not have a flat face, they are conical in shape. Most folks (like me) use a .30 cal bore brush and push it in there and twist is to clean it out. It will slide down the barrel and you'll feel it hit the breechplug, and , with a little push, get into the patent breech.

Good luck!

also an other idea..... I use a 1/4 inch dowel that i cut a slot into the end of...all you you is insert a patch into the slot slide it into the breech and turn......the brushes dont clean the bottom most part of the breech....this way i get everything nice n clean ....and it will cost you about .65 $ to do it

Made one myself.
Never had one pull off in the barrel.
Really does wonders on the patent breech area.

Vearl :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
The 50 caliber NYLON brushes that Brownells sells have enough flex in the bristles to get down into the patent breach. I also use a 22 caliber patch loop with a small patch to clean out this area.

Latest posts

Back