• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman GPR sight switch

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wallred

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey gang,

I want to put the primitive rear sight on my Lyman and remove the one with the elevation adjustment.

What's the correct way to remove the sight and put the other in? It's awful tight so I didn't want to just start banging away on it! :winking:

Warren

Hi Warren,
Ive used a wood dowel to remove and install mine.
Just tap gently and be careful.
I tried a brass punch one time but it left some slight marks on the blueing.Sometimes Ill add a few drops of gun oil in the groove before I start tapping.
Just my opinion. Hope it helps.

Well shoot!

It came out fine with a few taps of a hammer with a small stick.

But the fixed sight that came with it is too loose to use. It falls right out!

Anyone else have this problem?

I'll have to call them in the morning and see what's up...

-Warren

You can shim that fixed sight temporarily to see if you want to use it. Take a scissors to a beer can and snip out a little square of aluminum. Slide that under the sight.
That lets you try it out. If you want it permanent take a prick punch and upset the barrel steel at the bottom of the dovetail. Couple places outa make it tight. Or you could punch on the barrel surface fore and aft of the sight, to herd some steel over a bit. That's a little trickier because you want to get those marks real squared away and pretty; they're out where folks can see them.
Moose

Yup, the fixed sight on both a factory version and a kit I've got are way too small. They slide through the dovetail cleanly.

Hey Lyman! Whazzupwidat?

I had a similar problem with my GPR but it was the front sight. The sight blade mis-cast, skewed off to the left...not parallel with the bore centerline. I simply emailed them and they put a new one in the mail. I had it in about two days. Excellent service. I just received a few blade front sights and an adjustable rear from the Log Cabin shop to replace the plastic gunk that came with my Traditions Hawken kit. They're really nice, will require some filing to fit the metric dovetail, but I'm happy overall. Might consider checking out their offerings if you want to get a setup that suits your tastes to a T.

I also had the same problem with both of my GPRs. One took tow thicknesses of beverage can and the other three to get it snug. After a trip to the range to get it adjusted for windage, I just used penetrating Lok-tite to hold it in place.

Oh well...

Lyman sent out a new sight... Just as loose as the original...

Time to shim... :surrender:

I'm not all that fond of the Lyman primitive sight. I shimmed it and shot it, but ended up buying replacements for all of mine from TOW. They're cheap, and there's a whole bunch of styles to choose from. Just be aware that you are probably going to have to file the sight base to make it fit, but that's easy.

Latest posts

Back