• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman GP 1-32" .50 roundballs OK

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damron

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Went out today to shoot some conicals in a Lyman Great Plains Hunter 1-32 with issue sights.Shooting a Lee REAL and TC maxiball with 90g FFF Triple Seven was about 2"-2-1/2".These were recommended "pet" loads from a buddy.I decided to go simple(and give my shoulder a break) and used 55g of FF Goex and a handcast .495 Rb with .015 ticking.They shot very well i thought(1.5" -2.25" @50).After three groups it stated to string(about 3") so i ran a patch in Hoppies BP lube followed by a paper towel patch to dry it.I shot these last two groups that were just like the first three.So while they may not be tiny groups the 1-32" seems OK by me for patched round balls at medium velocity anyhow.

PICT1952.jpg

Guns with tight twists will usually still shoot RBs reasonably well as long as you stick to moderate loads. Also Lee makes each of it's REALs in a heavier or lighter one. If you are shooting the heavy one you could switch to the lighter just for target/plinking loads. You could also back off on the powder some with the REALS and still might shoot well.

Those look fine! I'd be happy with that for plinking and if it was a heavier load it would be fine for deer, and bear. Don't know if a heavier powder charge will work with that tight a twist or not but worth a try. FRJ

The Lee REAL's were the lighter ones.I was given them and they and the Maxi's tested between 7-10 BHN.I started at 75g and worked to 90g.Accuracy was unchanged throughout.I have TC and Lyman/Investarms 1-48's shoot RB real well and had no idea what to expect in a 1-32.From what you read by Fadala and other internet repetitive info you would think 6" groups are all you could get @ 50.i will try to work up to hotter load just to see what happens. Although the 55g load is all i need for my 25-75 yd squirrel blasting.The Lyman GP lays out real nice offhand for me.

George

That seems about right in line with what mine does (.54cal). 60gn FFg is my limit with roundballs before they start coming out like frisbies from that 1:30 barrel.

I found it interesting that they seemed to group quite well at short range with a heavier load and I got a bit excited until I tested them at 75m.

I have just bought a REAL mold but haven't had a chance to cast any yet. Looking forward to seeing what they shoot like as they seem to be a winner with everyone else.

Try the Lyman mold for the Great plains bullet and use an overpowder wad. That one looks good, shoots straight and seems to be effective on game as well. Remember accuracy is only half the battle! Every time I am out for a hunt and have to discharge at the end of a day I pick a far off tree at least 100m away and either take a quick rest off the side of a tree trunk or just shoot off hand and those Lyman bullets find the mark every time. Great for confidence. Bit like stumpshooting with your bow.

I think one of the great advantages of muzzleloaders is that ability to up or down your powder charge at a whim.

Have you noticed any problems with leading in the barrel?

No leading with 35 shots fired with the Maxi and REAL.I used Bore Butter as lube.
I like the look of the Lyman .50 plains bullet also.I was going to try paper pach with the gun but now it may ea RB gun.
I will see what i can do at 100 with the RB tomorrow AM.

Looks like you're right on course for shooting another myth in the foot! :rotf:

Yup, fast twist barrels certainly WON'T shoot RB's, will they. :yakyak:

With that patch/ball combo our experience is that once you pass about 80 grains of 2f or 70 grains of 3f groups will open, mostly due to fliers. Along with that you'll start to see patch failure at the same rate you get fliers.

Easy fix is to go to a thicker patch if you want to go faster. By resorting to thick patches and a mallet we were able to keep groups small with surprisingly large charges, but that was an experiment. I don't do it in the field because I don't want loads that require so much effort.

You can probably push that charge up another 20+ grains with no other changes, but you might have to go with thicker patches if you want to push it beyond that.

I rate type and depth of the rifling as more important than ROT for shooting RBs. You always hear, “That barrel won't shoot round balls accurately.” form some people. But I say try if before you discount it, ya just never really know until you shoot it. :hmm:

With my .015 ticking and .495 ball its pretty tight and needs a short starter and wood mallet to get it going.I'll try denim and .490's next time out and see if i can push the charge up.I have some 50 wonder-wads somewhere i could also add to the .495 combo to see what happens.

thanks for the info guys

George

I went out he last two days before work.The 55gFF/.015 patch /.495 ball load is been consistent.All groups at 50 yards with irons.I had a good 10 shot offhand going on the center bull until reality hit.Today(bottom 3 targets) i used reclaimed patches from the day before.They were in very good shape.There was enough Hoppies patch lube that i did'nt re-lube and t
PICT1956.jpg
s of the previous trip down the barrel.

Those are darn nice groups there.I would try those Wonder Wads next time out as they may just make your nice groups even better with the .490 ball. I hope to shoot mine again in the next day or so w/some different charges. This myth breaking thing is kind a fun.

i only have a .495 mold so for now its that size.Now if i could just FIND the wads i my shop!

George

Bumped it up to 100g of FF Goex today.It held 2" for 5 at 50 yards for two groups.Also shot 60g of Pyrodex RS and it shot one as small as 1.25" for 5 at 50 and the biggest was 2.0".Average for four consecutive 5 shot groups was 1-11/16".I am having a hard time figuring out why fast twist rifles got reputation for not shooting round balls.

George

the target picture.I had one shot out wide on each of the center groups that really hurt!Point of impact varied as i was trying to fine tune the sights.

PICT1958.jpg

Looking good! I found the opposite end of the spectrum was a myth for me... a slow twist barrel shoots some conicals just fine.
It's nice to know you can enjoy your fast-twist rifle plinking with prb's.
Enjoy!!

Sinner said:
Looking good! I found the opposite end of the spectrum was a myth for me... a slow twist barrel shoots some conicals just fine.
It's nice to know you can enjoy your fast-twist rifle plinking with prb's.
Enjoy!!

Plinking for sure but even the 100g loads kept 2" at 50. that should be a good enough deer load.Funny how I bought it to shoot conicals with paper patch now i doubt it will see anything but round balls.

George

Kentuckywindage said:
get you some .018 patches " blue-white stripe" .490 round balls and 70gr goex or pyrodex rs. :hatsoff:

My father shoots 70gr of FFFg Goex and a .020 patch with this rifle and has had groups with all the holes touching at 50 yards.

Back