• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman Flintlocks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAK

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I am looking at a Lyman Great Plains or the trader in .50 cal only.I am wondering what one is a fur traders rifle..I am getting into buckskinning. I am going for the look of a true buckskinner.I can not afford a kit at this point and time.. I like the TVM Leman full stock, that will come a time where I can get one. But for now I am looking only at lymans.I like the look of both..So please guide me in what one would be the best lyman for looks and shooting,being I am also getting in to comp shootting with it.Please help me out...

Thanks for looking
Jason

The Lyman GPR is close enough in style to fit into the Fur Trade era but the rifles with only one barrel wedge and the large brass/pewter nosecaps like the Trader, are styled like the guns of the 1850-1870 era which is after the Fur Trade died.

Some groups of buckskinners who are trying to depict life during the Fur Trade years don't mind the later style guns being used in their meets but some do, so if you know of a group that you would like to join you should talk to them and find out what they will allow.

Well the local club I am joined with is not picky but I am.I would be the only one in the club that is going to have a flintlock.It is a small club. there are 28 members total.Where I plan on going is a another story they are very picky.

Thanks for the reply
Jason

Jason; most of us will tell you that the GPR is the only production gun remotely close to PC/HC for the Fur Trade era. If you brown the barrel and add a primitve rear sight, you'll be spot on for 99% of events you might attend. Even if the TC Hawken is a slightly better quality piece, it's simply not PC/HC correct.

Well it looks like I get the GPR then.Sounds like what I am looking for.I am going to get the kit in .50 cal.I was wondering tips on building one.

Thanks for the help
Jason

Jason K said:
Well it looks like I get the GPR then.Sounds like what I am looking for.I am going to get the kit in .50 cal.I was wondering tips on building one.

Thanks for the help
Jason

This would be my choice too for your staited interest.
As has been pointed out to brown the barrel,nose cap and thimbles, and use a primative rear sight you would have a rifle strikingly similar to a J.&S. Hawkin.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

the lyman is a great choice. I built one a few years ago. now I kick my self for selling it! pretty easy to build kit if you take your time don't try and rush to get it done in one weekend. I wood brown all the medal parts and walla. it be great for buckskining or roundy! :thumbsup:

Just don't make the common mistake and call it a Hawkens. The Hawken brothers made very few, if any, half stocked rifles in flintlock. They were mostly percussion. Even Lyman refuses to call their rifle a "Hawkens". They said that only the Hawken brothers can make a Hawkens. Lyman calls their rifle a Great "Plains" Rifle. There were several other makers of the plains style rifle that did offer rifles in flintlock, so your choice is not out of place. I have a production .54 GPR percussion with blue finish and the adjustable rear sight. I also built a .54 GPR flint kit. I browned the metal and installed the primitive rear sight. Both are fine rifles and very accurate with round balls. I must admit, the flint kit with the browned finish is my favorite :thumbsup:

Well I am going with a GPR kit.It looks eazy to build.I am very good with my hands so I should not have ant troubles build it..Any pointers on building the kit so I would know.

Thanks
Jason

Check out the Gun Builders Bench here on the forum.

There are many posts about building a GPR plus some of the best gunmakers in America are there and they will gladly answer any question you may have about building your rifle.
The Gun Builders Bench is intended to help the first time builder as well as answer questions from the advanced builders.

Among the many posts dealing with the GPR you can see some of the modifications our members made to make their guns a bit more "custom".
These range from modifying the stocks shape to installing inlays to various metal finishes that make their guns unique.

Thank for the info.I will be posting there as soon as I get my kit.

Thanks Again
Jason

I was wondering what size of flint should I get from Track of the Wolf for my GPR.And what size if drill bit for the flash hole.

Thanks
Jason

I don't own a GPR flintlock so I'll bow to whatever size of flint the other folks suggest.

As you know, many of us don't like the tiny vent hole that comes with factory guns so we drill them out a bit.

Generally speaking you should use the smallest hole that produces fast, reliable ignition so the first drilling should be done with a 1/16 inch diameter drill.

After shooting the rifle with that sized vent it the ignition is fast and dependable then you should leave it alone.
If you get hang fires or very slow ignition try going to a #50 (.070) drill.
Many hardware stores have these numbered sized drill bits but you have to ask for them.

After trying the .070 diameter vent if your gun still misfires often, review your loading and priming methods. They are probably the problem but if your doing everything correctly you can redrill the vent using a 5/64 (.0781) diameter drill.
This is about the largest size that folks recommend because the loss of gas pressure and the amount of side blast start to become excessive if diameters larger than this are used.

Mr. Jason K,
Here is what I do.

IMG_3864.jpg

The bottom liner is 1/16th inch. It works poorly. Not much better than the stock one.
The second, middle picture is drilled with a #50 drill. It works better but not yet best.
The top and the best is one drilled with a #50 drill and coned both outside and inside.

I no longer advocate 5/64th, as I am not seeing an increase in performance by going to this next size up.

Thanks for the tips everyone..I will let you know when I get the kit.The Gun Dealer said it is back ordered. So I mite go with a production one.He said he can find them easy..The Kit was going to cost me 375 with shipping .. The production gun I can for 450 with shipping.I am doing some hard thinking..I will let everyone know what I get here soon..

Thanks for the replies
Jason

I am sure you will be happy with the Great Plains Rifle, I built my .54 Flintlock from the kit several years ago and althougth like you I hope to get something more custom this rifle is very accurate and dependable. I use the 3/4 x 3/4 English flints and the RMC replacement vent liner which I did not have to drill, it has a hex wrench hole instead of a slot and seems to be coned properly.

Ivory Hunter,

Where did you get your liner? I too am ordering a GPR in .50 cal. I don't want to drill it if not necessary.

Go to rmcsports.com and select the online catalog, the touch hole liners are listed under blackpowder shooting accessories scroll down and you will see the one specific to a Lyman rifle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back