• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman and T/C Locks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What, if any difference, is there between a Lyman lock plate and a T/C lock plate? They both appear to be identical. I compared the full size photo's in the TOW catalog, and can see no difference. Am I missing something? It would appear that the locks may be interchangeable.

The Lyman lock is "thicker".
I put a GM IBS (meant for T/C's) on a Cabelas(Investarms) rifle and remember having to grind out that part of the Breech that over-laps the lock a bit,, then some of the hook, but after that the geometry/alignment for the nipple was the same.
I also remember goofing around with a couple of locks with a couple stocks and they were not a direct drop in, close enough to whittle a bit to make fit, but I didn't want to make that permanent change to the stocks.
I'm not sure the if locks "mount bolt" position is the same.
FWIW, L&R makes replacements for both and they are different models, 03 for T/C, 05 for the Lyman

I just finished a Lyman and have a spare T/C lock, come to the range and you can look then over.

I just finished a Lyman and have a spare T/C lock, come to the range and you can look then over.
I have a Lyman Great Plains flint lock and have a L&R T/C replacement lock coming for a Renegade. Was just wondering if the RPL lock could be used on the GP and the Lyman lock on the T/C?

I’m sorry I can’t answer your question. I don’t have any experience with interchangeable parts.

Back