• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lubing felt wads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nessmuck56 said:
Would some melted crisco work ???

I seriously dislike Crisco for any ml lube uses. Hard in cold weather, liquid in hot weather, runs all over the place, stinks and, personally, I don't think it does a good job of lubing.
Now, those who like it will jump in and tell me I am wrong.

I can go along with the hard when it's cold and runny when its hot but, Crisco stinks? :confused:

It's made for puttin' into cakes and cookies as well as greasing the pans their baked in.

Can't say I've ever even smelled it before but even if it could turn rancid (which I don't think it can) it wouldn't smell any worse than any other vegetable oil.

BrownBear said:
I just put the wads in a ziploc with a hunk of my lube (TOW Mink Oil Grease) and sap it in the nuker until the lube is all melted. Squish it around with the wads until it's all soaked up. If it looks like they need a little more I put in some more lube and repeat. If they're all coated, I'm done.

+1 Same here, except I don't even nuke it.

I like olive oil and beeswax. I have used Crisco and have no problems with it. I put the wads in a coffee can and just mix it around for a bit and then put the wads on a sheet of waxed paper till the dry. Store them in those little Altoids tins.

stantdm said:
I like olive oil and beeswax. I have used Crisco and have no problems with it. I put the wads in a coffee can and just mix it around for a bit and then put the wads on a sheet of waxed paper till the dry. Store them in those little Altoids tins.

That's just what I do, too, but I store mine in the a couple of 'Oregon Mint' tins - NOT the new-fangled ones with slidey lids, but the old ones you used to be able to get from the refreshement stands at the train depot for a quarter.

Jeez, I'm getting old............ :surrender:

tac

Chicken fat?!? While I might try different concoctions, that is one I would never try! I often cook chickens in my Weber, and if I don't dispose of the drained-off fat it stinks to high heaven after a couple of warm days!!!

Back