• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Loyalist Arms Brown Bess

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MOST Re-enactors are firing BLANKS, ONLY, so they don't make nearly the kinds of pressure that shooting a PRB or conical out of these guns will generate.

If you want a gun to shoot Blanks, ONlY save the money and buy one of the guns from INDIA.

If, on the other hand, you want a gun that will fire PRB well( good groups), then saving your money to buy a used Japanese model, or the current Pedersoli model guns is a wiser decision and a better way to spend your money.

The fact that a seller tells you how to "proof" the gun you buy from him doesn't help much, unless you have access to some very expensive X-ray equipment to examine the barrel AFTER you fire those proof loads. Proof loads have been known to produce cracks in weak steels when there were no cracks in the steel before the proof loads were fired.

The only complaint that I have read about the India guns is that little or nothing is known about the Quality of the Steel they are using to make these barrels, and breechplugs. I think you can generally rely on the American sellers of these imports to screen out the guns with other visible manufacturing defects, but quality control on the steel is usually beyond their available resources.

Since this is a Traditional Muzzleloading Forum, where we generally talk about actually firing PRBs from our guns, or loads of shot, I think you can understand the bias among some members against a gun you can't trust to shoot RBs, and predict what might happen if the pressures produced are above what these barrels can handle.

No one wants to have a gun blow up in their arms, nor in the hands of anyone else. Its bad publicity for the sport in general. The fact that ONE gun has blown up is NEWS, and the word about it spread across the sport, in every internet forum relating to guns. Its NEWS because it happens so rarely to any gun, particularly to guns made and sold in the USA. :hmm: :thumbsup:

Thanks all, for the great input. About a week ago, my wife surprised me with a pedersoli. Good woman!

Shot her the first t time yesterday with paper cartridges and . 715 ball... there is a very high probability of addiction with this thing. Also ordered a bunch of over powder and over shot cards for shotgunning.

Now, of course, I have to figure a way to sneak a bayonet and sling onto the debit card without her noticing :grin:

Sooooo, your wife surprised you with your Perersoli, you shot her the first time with a 715 ball, and you want to sneak a bayonet and sling past her.

That sounds like you should have your eyes checked and/or your barrel regulated :wink:

I wish you better luck in your future endeavors :wink: .

Back