• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Love my black powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a "cartridge gun" so please don't discuss it here. Not allowed. Originally used black powder cartridges, so its ammo kinda fits the thread theme, though.
I understand I was curious on the type of gùn it is. Is it a new gun or something very old just curious I have many types of guns they are my children lol. And I don't know why 36 caliber guns show up on my profile I have 50 44 54 caliber weapons.dont know how to change it. Computer illiterate nice talking to you

Welcome from the Mississippi Delta. In 1968-69 I lived in Amelia. Looked forward to the Blessing of the Fleet party. Looking at Google maps it looks like Amelia has changed quite a bit.
I use to live there still own my land I live in stephensville now 20 feet out my back door and I'm in my boat

I love lever actions and love 400 grain bullet is yours 1800 model or replica I loaded 80 grains of black powder su day and it had a nice kick that came stock with 70 grains nice I would definitely reload
Original model 1884 mfg 1887; 385 gr RN lead bullet over 65 gr 3F (all that will fit - these bullets don't have a hollow base). Did you cast your bullets? I couldn't find 405 gr hollow-base.

Original model 1884 mfg 1887; 385 gr RN lead bullet over 65 gr 3F (all that will fit - these bullets don't have a hollow base). Did you cast your bullets? I couldn't find 405 gr hollow-base.
No I have a traditions rifles all ball ammunition i was interested in what type rifle you have how did you get a 1887 original rifle. I was reading you have to have a lower powder charge on the 1800 s rifles that's why I suggested reloading . Check midway USA or powder Valley I sent them a text on Facebook and they had the percussion caps in a week . I boughtmy black powder rifle and couldn't get caps I had to travel 100 miles to pick up a gunstores last 200 caps so when powder valley got the caps in I bought 1250 of them in Louisiana they done require you to use black powder on primitive season any most gun shops dropped black powder .also try ebay and Amazon also I seen bullet castors on midway and powder Valley I think out of kansas

No I have a traditions rifles all ball ammunition i was interested in what type rifle you have how did you get a 1887 original rifle. I was reading you have to have a lower powder charge on the 1800 s rifles that's why I suggested reloading . Check midway USA or powder Valley I sent them a text on Facebook and they had the percussion caps in a week . I boughtmy black powder rifle and couldn't get caps I had to travel 100 miles to pick up a gunstores last 200 caps so when powder valley got the caps in I bought 1250 of them in Louisiana they done require you to use black powder on primitive season any most gun shops dropped black powder .also try ebay and Amazon also I seen bullet castors on midway and powder Valley I think out of kansas
Oh that 400 grain bullet you were talking Wasson the write up they had on your Gunther told about the amount of black powder loaded in the bullet and the grain of the bullets that the gun shot

....I was reading you have to have a lower powder charge on the 1800 s rifles that's why I suggested reloading .....
Yes, that's exactly why I'm reloading with black powder, not with smokeless.

The "Trapdoor-safe" or aka "Cowbody rounds" of 45-70 are smokeless powder downloaded to produce a muzzle velocity and chamber pressure equivalent to an original full load of 70 grains of black powder. 65 grains is the max I can load with the flat-bottom bullets I can get. The original bullets had a hollow base, which I presume is how they were able to pack in 70 grains.

Latest posts

Back