• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lost my best hunting companion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the thoughtful replies friends.

I just got in from my first deer hunt since losing her. It was hard to concentrate. I'm not ashamed to say that the tears haven't ceased.

Much appreciated, Skychief

If you didn't cry Skychief, something would be wrong with you. I cry like a baby everytime I lose one of my four legged friends. There my family and they give me more love and affection and comfort than most of the humans I've known. I know its cold comfort but things get better in time. Hang in there partner.

Jeff

I understand completely. To me it's losing a family member and very difficult to come to terms with. My condolences.

Dear Skychief, I am so sorry for your loss! I too lost my companion Sammy last year. Had her for 14 years. She was the best watchdog in the neighborhood. All the kids knew and loved her. Kids of all ages grew up with her and knew her by name. It amazed me how many people asks about her even now. My wife and I went to the shelter to get another companion 6 months ago. We found two little dogs that were from the same home when they were dropped off at the animal shelter. Bottom line is that we ended up giving the both of them a good home. We just couldn't split them up. They do not replace the loss of Sammy but they do ease the heaviness of our hearts. We do love them just the same. I hope you will find the joy and happiness again. Respectfully, cowboys1062.

A loss like that is hard to take. We lost a real good Beagle to cancer two years ago. She was only 7. My wife and I both still have days when we miss her.

same here. lost my 7 year old beagle a year ago to cancer and lost the one before that, although she was 13.

sorry to here your about your loss, it is tough! i'am however not waiting as long as i did the last time and i'm picking up a new beagle pup on jan. 4th. the others are and will be missed, but i gotta have another.

Thank you all very much.

A friend gave me a small book titled 'The last will and testament of an extremely distinguished dog' this evening. Written by Eugene O'Neill, it was a short but timely read for me.

I mention it as a possible help to those in my boots, formerly, currently, or at a later time.

It was worth reading.

Best regards, Skychief

Sorry for your loss. Been there before too with my childhood dog. Raising a squirrel dog now too which only intensifies it.

Keep up the good fight.

-E-

I had to put my yellow lab down 2 weeks ago. I know how you feel. I don't want another one, it's just too painful when they go.
Sorry for your loss.
Nit Wit

That's a long little life she had and we can see it was filled with fun and adventure and loyalty and love.

I'm glad one of your neighbors didn't shoot her for coming onto their property and killing a loose chicken or something...

Sad to hear of your loss and my condolences to you in your time of grief. 17 years is a good long run for a fine dog. Their time here is comparatively too short and in a world where turtles and parrots can live nearly a century, proves to me this life isn't always fair. My first little hound lived sixteen and a half and I still miss her decades later. If there's no dogs in heaven, I ain't goin'. I want to go where they go. Best wishes to you in the days ahead, and here's hoping you eventually get to share time with another special canine friend.

I know your pain, It's been 6 months since I lost my Dolly. She was my constant companion and a great hunter. I think of her almost every day. It's going to be a long winter.

Dolly_28ga.JPG

Back