• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking to do my first build some ? About smoothies

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand you guys don't know me from Adam and make assumptions based on what you feel the "average hunter" is capable of. I currently live on property where I shoot at least once a week. Up until lately it has all been center fire stuff. I'm getting into bp especially flintlocks and was just wondering the capabilities of the smoobore. Spence I thank you very much for your help. I'm an ethical hunter and have no problem passing on shots. I do it all the time in archery. Just was trying to get a better handle on what makes the most sense for me. I will own at least 3 flinters the question was more about what should I get first. I will own a .62 or.69 smoothie, a .54 or .58 rifle and a .40 or .45 rifle. The big bore will be an early Lancaster style, not sure on the smoothie yet and the small bore will either be a late Lancaster or an early Lancaster style. All that to say I appreciate the help, but try and stay on topic and not question my shooting abilities because the original question had nothing to do with my abilities only the guns.

shotgunner87 said:
Okay so maybe a dumb question then. If you guys are telling me 50 yards with a smoothie and the rifled guys say the same thing then why get a rifle for big game hunting?

I don't believe Spence, I or anyone else intended anything critical about your personal shooting ability.

The discussion came as a result of you asking the above question.

Gus

That comment wasn't aimed at spence he was very helpful. And maybe I just misunderstood the intent of other comments. Sometimes it's hard to fully grasp the intention of the poster in a paragraph. My apologies if I misunderstood.

Indeed, it sometimes is very difficult to gage the intent of the written word. Just wanted you to know that no criticism was aimed at your shooting ability.

Gus

So back to the matter at hand. Any suggestions as to style of fowler for someone from Lancaster county in pre rev war time period.

shotgunner87 said:
So back to the matter at hand. Any suggestions as to style of fowler for someone from Lancaster county in pre rev war time period.
There used to be a Issac Haines fowling gun available for view on American Historic Services but it has been removed.

The Lancasterian shape in either rifle or smoothbore is familiar to most modern shooters. The architecture is similar to fine modern shotguns. In a word...very English. From a distance it's hard to tell a Lancaster(Pennsylvania)rifle from a fowling gun of the same region at first glance as the architecture is so similar.

The Haines gun I mentioned had a lot of the attributes of a Haines Rifle. The difference being...the Haines fowling gun had a round barrel, a single trigger and the simpler fowling gun trigger guard. There were other differences as well, mainly the fowling gun was simply decorated compared to a rifle.

Jim Chambers makes an excellent Pennsylvania Fowler parts set.
Link Chambers

Here's a later 18th Century Lauck from Winchester Virginia. Link Buck and ball

I think you'll find a strong resemblance to Lancaster made Guns and rifles to early Virginia made guns and rifles. It's just down the Great Wagon Road and follows the path of settlement to the Southwest.

David Keck also has lots of historical stock patterns
Link

I think it gets down to how much challenge do you want. If you want to shoot deer at the same yardages, and with the same ease as your .270, then build a rifle. You're already adding quite a bit of extra challenge just by making it a flintlock.

If you want the extra challenge of having to get even closer to the deer before you can ethically take a shot, then make it a smooth-bore. If you want even more challenge than that.........take up archery.

shotgunner87 said:
I understand you guys don't know me from Adam and make assumptions based on what you feel the "average hunter" is capable of. I currently live on property where I shoot at least once a week. Up until lately it has all been center fire stuff. I'm getting into bp especially flintlocks and was just wondering the capabilities of the smoobore. Spence I thank you very much for your help. I'm an ethical hunter and have no problem passing on shots. I do it all the time in archery. Just was trying to get a better handle on what makes the most sense for me. I will own at least 3 flinters the question was more about what should I get first. I will own a .62 or.69 smoothie, a .54 or .58 rifle and a .40 or .45 rifle. The big bore will be an early Lancaster style, not sure on the smoothie yet and the small bore will either be a late Lancaster or an early Lancaster style. All that to say I appreciate the help, but try and stay on topic and not question my shooting abilities because the original question had nothing to do with my abilities only the guns.
Like you, people don't know me from Adam, either, but I have been shooting flint smoothbores since 1986 after becoming bored with rifles and learning the accuracy that can be achieved with a smoothbore. There is no reason to own a bunch of guns for hunting unless you are hunting in the west where very long shots are the norm. But in Pennsylvania, all you need is a well built flint smoothbore. 20, & 16 gauges work well for deer with a ball and small game with shot. IMHO, 20 gauge is the best for both shot & ball but that's just me. The important thing is to know your gun. Shoot it until you are confident you are going to hit what it's pointed at. That takes dedication and practice. I'd bet money if you get just one 20 gauge smoothbore gun for all your hunting, shoot it exclusively, you'll be shooting it like a rifle. If you bought 3 guns, you'd be wondering why you bought the other 2.

Get yerself a nice fowling type gun that fits you. You won't be sorry.

Latest posts

Back