• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

looking for a "wad-cutter" type conical

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tajue17

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have this one conical bullet my father gave me and If they are still out there I want to get a box to use with my fast twist hawken barrel.

my camera doesn't seem to want to flash for me right now but its basically a .50 wad cutter looking conical with 11 lines around the side and weighs 378gr on my digital scale, has the flat nose typical of a wadcutter and the inside of the back is hollowed out like a hornady buffalo bullet.

might well be the Lee mold 'improved modern target minie' slug that you have there.
AFAIK they aren't available for sale, have to cast yourself.

thanks blizzard,, your right thats the bullet I have.. I seen one on TOTW and then did a search on Lees website and saw it there,, didn't notice that i can't buy it anymore though are you sure?

while I'm on the subject,, do you is there any other similer conical on the market besides the hornadys?

aren't available for sale, have to cast yourself.

I think he means the bullets are not for sale. You can buy the mold. It is deadly on game with that big flat on the front. It does not tolerate heavy charges though. The skirt flares like a badminton bird and hurts accuracy. In my .50, they would not tolerate much more than 60 grains of ff. Your mileage may vary.

a heavy charge on any minie-type slug will 'blow the skirt'. medium does fine, I have the rnfp minie mold.

you have me thinking now,,,, even though I do have a slow twist barrel in my PA Match rifle I could not get the hornady plains bullets to group tighter than 6-7" @ 50yds and I was using 80gr of swiss.... I know some may think its the "slow twist" doing this but I remember this same barrel hitting better than this and now I'm wondering if it was the 80gr charge blowing the group apart?

I have some maxi-hunters I think that I'll try just to see what they do.

as for hunting with the 80gr under a 385gr bullet, I know I can hear a delayed hit from the projectile upon impact! SO if I dropped down in charge to say 60gr in the real world do you think that would be practical on deer based basically on the speed of the bullet and also an exceptable accuracy range.

just thoughts really but I'd like to know all the "what ifs" incase changing my set-ups ever had to happen.

You can always look for used molds on TOTW site,
The gun works dot com and the big anti gun auction site.

I have some odd balls that are not made anymore and these sites have helped me out!

even though I do have a slow twist barrel in my PA Match rifle I could not get the hornady plains bullets to group tighter than 6-7" @ 50yds and I was using 80gr of swiss....

The hornady hollow base bullet has a very thick skirt and will not flare out the way the Lee modern minie does.

I know some may think its the "slow twist" doing this but I remember this same barrel hitting better than this and now I'm wondering if it was the 80gr charge blowing the group apart?

What was it hitting better with?? And, have you tried them at 100 yards? I'm betting your 6 to 7 inch groups will go to 25 to 30 inch at 100. You may be chasing spirits in trying to get good accuracy out your slow twist with bullets such as you are describing.

The 60 grains and that bullet will surely kill a deer as long as your accuracy is acceptable.

Back