• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for a Decent Spotting Scope.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like tom_in_vt I found that the cheap spotting scopes were worthless at 50 yards and beyond. I got 4 of those cheap scopes that just take up space in the closet. I ended up purchasing a Celestron 20-60 X 80 spotting scope and find it does what I want. You also need a GOOD tripod for it to perform at its best.

I use Konus, I have bought three. All were sufficient for Service rifle competition.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/konus-20-60x100-zoom-spotting-scope.html
With optics you get what you pay for. Don't skimp.

Since my Service rifle club transitioned to the shot spotter system, I don't need a spotting scope for that.

For ML club shoots a decent pair of binoculars is fine. I have a pair of Leupolds. They fit in my shooting box.
I bought a new spotting scope for my shooting range a lil over a yr ago - on a budget. I wasn't familiar with Athlon prior to doin my research on what was avail " quality-wise " in under 500.00 spotting scopes. For what the Athlon Argos 20-60x80 brings to the table for its price sold me. Im pretty pleased overall with it - for the money.

Like tom_in_vt I found that the cheap spotting scopes were worthless at 50 yards and beyond. I got 4 of those cheap scopes that just take up space in the closet. I ended up purchasing a Celestron 20-60 X 80 spotting scope and find it does what I want. You also need a GOOD tripod for it to perform at its best.
Yes, cheap optics have never proven to be " worth their money " in the long run IMHO. I've never been able to afford the top of the line - several thousand dollar rifle or spotting scopes. So I do lots of research on mid-range or upper - low end optics. There now are a decent amount of choices for relitively good optics at fairly affordable prices.

There now are a decent amount of choices for relitively good optics at fairly affordable prices.
What would you recommend?
All the online sites show great-looking scopes, until you read the reviews.
What do you have good experience with that is moderately priced?
New might be beyond my budget, but pawn shops have everything. You just have to know what you are looking for.

What would you recommend?
All the online sites show great-looking scopes, until you read the reviews.
What do you have good experience with that is moderately priced?
New might be beyond my budget, but pawn shops have everything. You just have to know what you are looking for.
Hey there Brazos John, like I stated in my post, for 350.00 the Athlon Argos sold me. For 500.00 or close to it I'd recommend the Vortex Diamondback or the Vanguard Endeavor. The rearch for a used optic is a great idea to get " more for your money ". I recently got a heck of a deal on a pair of Steiner Predator Pro binos used that I wouldn't have been able to afford new.

Spotting Scope with a difference. Rather old 3 Draw brass leather bound scope that had obviously been used at long rang as it has scratch lines on the small dia. tube at 800 & 500 yds. 11/4" x 20. Optics.( pity W10 won't send my Atts. The script is balanced round the body with scroll surrounds.).
Engraved on the Sun Shield is:-
Edinbourgh Gum Maker's Rilfe Club
!st. PRIZE
Gained by
Arrch_d. Farquhar
Oct_b. 6_th. 1855
Last used for shooting,by me at 900 yrds on
Stickeldown, Bisely at the Centernary 2000 Jubilee.. OLD DOG..

Last edited:
We live not far from a large reservoir called Rutland Water. The visitor centre there has a great optical store, with many different brands of binoculars and scopes, many of which are suitable for watching birds or holes. They also have a habit of holding surprise 'specials' days, where they pair a scope and tripod for a price that means that effectively, the tripod is a freebie! Not just low end stuff, here, but Leupold and Vector. Many of my fellow-shooters have lucked in to a great deal there over the years.

In the other direction we have the RSPB/Norfolk Nature Trust location at Cley-on-Sea in Norfolk, which has, in addition to a great birdwatching centre, a small but very well-stocked optics store, again with occasional deals.

Both these locations allow you to try your choice outside - ideal, since both are a great birdwatching locations. The Norfolk sand-dunes are home to thousands of seabirds and waders. Rutland water has ospreys......

Last edited:
I had a Tasco 15X60 that I could just see 50 caliber holes at 200 yards. My nephew said look through my scope. At 200 yards not only were the bullet holes clear and sharp but so was the flies wings that was sitting on the target.

In 1991 or so I spent $350 on a new B&L spotting scope. Spend your money on what works the first time.

Currently using a Sightmark. Had for about a year and a half. I've had good luck with it. Came with table top tripod and fabric case that you can just unzip and leave on the scope.

Just bought a Stryka 10-45X. Wanted to see what the optics was like as far as clarity. Unfortunately, the fools that started shutting down every business for no reason, put them out of business.

I hope yours works better than the one I bought, it was junk, sent it back to Amazon.

If you end up with a good one let us know the brand and details.
Well, it was junk.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07MC572D3
It was completely non-functional. The camera would broadcast it's wifi network for about 60 seconds. While the phone was connected to it, if you tried to launch their app it would crash. After about 60 seconds the phone would drop the wifi connection and then if you launched the app nothing would work (naturally, as it was not talking to the camera).

I called the company for support, and after getting bounced between two service lines and spending 1 hour and 20 minutes on the phone, the person I spoke to could only tell me that "we are trying to update the app". I asked when and she said, "I don't know, maybe a couple of weeks". Given from the Amazon reviews that the problem has been going on for years, I doubt that.

I can't believe they are still selling these things. They are just completely non-functional out of the box. Tried it on an iphone and Android phone with no luck.

It's a darn shame as I wanted it to work. I can't believe more people don't make a device like this. Moreover I can't believe more spotting scope manufacturers don't build this into the very scope itself.

I've started using my point and shoot high zoom ratio camera. You can see the holes in the targets easily and you have a record for each shot.

This is a still frame from a video of a shot at the bear silhouette sitting at 200 yards.

View attachment 149607
That little streak next to the bear target at 200 yards is the ball going past the bear. Sorry, I didn't get the impact that hit in the heart.

I have a Canon 730 camera that will zoom up to 160 power. The problem is holding the camera still enough even with a tripod to get a good image.
Even the new cell phones have pretty amazing zoom capabilities these days, and image stabilization software makes it relatively easy to hold steady on target. Here is a picture I took with my S22 Ultra after I bought it. If you look closely in the middle of the circle I added, there is a trash can behind the swings chain.
20220726_225116.jpg

This second picture is zoomed in on that trash can.
20220516_193153.jpg

Would it work for 200 yards? Probably not. But it should do out to 100 just fine.

Just bought a Stryka 10-45X. Wanted to see what the optics was like as far as clarity. Unfortunately, the fools that started shutting down every business for no reason, put them out of business.

UPDATE ON THE STRYKA 10-45X-65mm: Awesome is all I can say! Took it on the front porch on a rainy foggy day. Aimed it at the farthest mountain top several miles away. Adjusted it to my eyes, and discovered a gas well site on that mountain top, clear as could be. Damned shame the Nazi Regime put them out of business!! This unit is brand new and was $499+ when it came out. My bid was $170.

Back