• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking after a Lee mould?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lyman still uses a cherry to cut their moulds. as they get worn they get smaller until they deem them too small. I assume they start out a little big to stretch how many times they can use them. Lees are cut on a lathe so they should come out the same size every time. Lyman has slipped in quality over the years as allot of companies seem to do, that is unless they have improved recently. I know for awhile some people would jump on a used Lyman mould quicker than a new one.

Heh, funny you should say that. Older Lyman molds, especially if they have been used and cared for, are great. I picked up a well used Lyman .490 ball 4 cavity. It looks like it has been used for a couple decades or more and it is HEAVY, but many does it rain nice, correctly sized molds. Last time I used it I pounded out 700+ keepers.

My problem is I have been lent two moulds.
The lender has said he has used them, but they look almost new.
So I would like to give them back to him after using in the same condition as I have them now.
This is the real reason behind the question.

I wouldn't worry about it as an aggressive cleaning is more likely to do damage than good.

I am sure the lender will understand if he casts regularly.

If you really must, take some carburetor cleaner and steel wool gently to the outside of the mold, and perhaps a toothbrush with some dishsoap to the inside, but again, that would not be ideal to me if they are casting well now. You could well spoil that, and it may take some time to "break them back in" again when they are next used.

I use synthetic 2 stroke oil while casting....I apply with a Q-Tip and use very little. After a casting session I clean the mold with a soft rag and then spray down ( very lighty) with Brownells mold release. I have been doing this for 40 years and my molds are still perfect. When I cast I cast a lot, sometimes for two days and then my molds do a lot of sitting. I can't say enough about Brownells mold release!

Latest posts

Back