• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Long Range Match Shooting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

58 Cal.
Reaction score
There's a fella on another site claiming that sidelocks can't match the accuracy of an unmentionable. I've tried Googling info but it either just comes up with match info or unmentionable stuff (talking 200-300 yds and more works too).

Anyone have pics of targets with info?

I'd also like to see PRB stuff as well as I know some of those are quite accurate at 200 yds as well.

Folks who don't know swear they know the most.

Like this one idiot friend of mine who insisted a Black Powder pistol wouldn't kill a man past 50 yards. ... {Wasn't that the range they set the factory sights too at Colts factory?}

This fella says he's owned plenty of sidelocks (T/C and CVA) and 4" was about the best one could get from a non custom rifle.

I thought it was 75 yds. Regardless it's pretty far for a pistol!

Funny (I was one of them who bought most of it hook, line, and sinker) how it's sworn by today's standard that a ball is ineffective. I saved a military video showing various modern (60's era) vs antiquated weapons vs a bone in gel. Despite a weak load in the 1860 Army with a ball @600-something fps it penetrated clean through it. Not a lot of damage per se but it certainly penetrated.

Oh and Tutt's wound sure was fatal at ~75 yds...

Many out there think massive shock is the only way bullets kill. They don't understand basic hunting and creating a wound channel so the critter bleeds out fast.
And a black powder gun makes a nice large wound channel.

send IdahoRon a PM & see if he'll send ya a few pix of his two or three or four hundred yard targets shot with his T/C side lock guns with paper-patch bullets.

or maybe ya could PM idaholewis for a 'pitcher' of his 505 yard target usin' the same type gun/loads.

There are historical reports of Civil War snipers hitting their targets (and killing the victim) at more than 1300 yds.
From an article written by Logan Nye Oct. 29, 09:10 AM
"On Dec. 5 an unidentified Confederate soldier in Fort Sumter saw a Union soldier moving in Battery Gregg, 1390 yards away. The Southerner was likely using a Whitworth Rifle when he lined up his sights on the Union soldier and fired, killing him."
"That’s longer than any confirmed kill of World War I or II and only 400 yards shy of making a modern top 10 list. Wikipedia still ranks it as the 14th longest sniper kill in history."

More info here .... http://www.cfspress.com/sharpshooters/arms.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Go to www.dcra.ca. DCRA hosts long range blackpowder matches every August. Longest range is 900m. Some competitors shoot muzzleloaders.

Here in UK the longest range used for muzzleloading rifles of all kinds is the 1200 yard Stickledown Range at Bisley. The MLAGB regularly hosts event here - ask Mr Minshall.

tac

I belong to the other site too. I defended the side lock until I got shouted down and could see it was no use to talking with that fool any longer.

two books to read Ned Roberts cap lock muzzle loading rifle.

walter cline the cap lock muzzle loading rifle then and now.

I'm sure the guy was a fine shot but in a target rich environment like existed in Civil War battles, everybody could get lucky from time to time. :2

There are 2 ways projecties kill, one is hydrolick shock, very fast bullets and the other is large bullets and large wound channes which lead to losts of blood on the ground.

Back