• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Loading from a bag for Grins!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbutch

58 Cal.
Reaction score
As a hunter-plinker thought I should give this a try...

It was refreshing..while at the range left all the extra stuff in the truck..
as a non competitor I had to talk myself into this..It was fun and gave me a different view of what was really needed. Fun shooting session.

IMG_1112.jpg

rifleman's bag(custom)..40 cal ball bag(custom)...powder flask..homemade short starter( yes there is a cf case used as a bore guide)Custom) made patch knife and sheath..Rifle T/C Hawken ..gm 15/16 X32" 40 cal. tweaked....My camera will not pick up more detail for the powder measure and caper.
Give the bag a try you will need less. Oh Ya. 50 yards off hand..Not so Much! :idunno: I'm going back to 25 yards :rotf:

Last edited by a moderator:
That is good practice. I've done that sort of thing, getting ready for hunting. Take just what's needed and left stuff back I didn't want to fumble past. It's amazing what little can be taken and still feed the rifle!

It really does not take long for it to become second nature and add another dimension/level to the sport from a historical perspective, particularly when hunting, it can be hard at first to shed a lot of dodads we have been convinced we must have in order to make everything work.

Very nice kit you have there Dan. :thumbsup: I always take allot more things than i need to the range and hunting as well. :idunno: :shake: A man never can tell when he might need something that he don't have with him. :youcrazy:

It does help prepare you for hunting. We have a mile long woods walk shoot where we shoot at up to 23 reactive swinging critter and iron targets. It is great fun. :thumbsup: Check out the photo galery.
http://hlragc.com/index.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Great pics!! WE also do a woods walk and load from the bad. it really helps with hunting.

Loading from the bag will give you an idea of what it's really like to shoot a muzzleloader, as opposed to modern range shooting. IMHO

Flint 311..
Squirrel season opens up in 4 weeks..the 40 cal. shoots good when I do my part...Practice shooting from the bag does help.

TG.. Slowly working my way into a traditional mindset..for me the learning curve is longer. I have a tendency to be a dodad guy.

Smo--Thanks for the kind words...It just feels more traditional shooting from the bag. Will be leaving more stuff behind in the future.

Jack Wilson...I agree! one more step away from my center fire roots.

:hatsoff: Good looking rig!
What kinda finish you got on the barrel of that riflegun? :v

Lonehunter...Vinegar-rope finish..Had to try it... Love the textured finish.Just prefer this to a left in the white barrel.

IMG_0829.jpg

IMG_1075.jpg

here's 2 more I've done

IMG_1007.jpg

I use naval jelly to freshen it.

Like the set up and love the look of that bag. I usually took a ton of gear and doodads to the range when I was lucky to get out once a month. Now I'm retired and can go any time I like, often on a whim. I want to be able to grab a rifle, pluck the bag off a hook and head out. So I'm refining the gear actually needed. It is fun, liberating and gives a nice sense of history. In a similar vein, I'm setting up a small box for the C&B revolvers.I can choose the gun(s), grab the box and go.

On a side note, with reduced income in retirement, I really appreciate that BP shooting is comparatively inexpensive. :thumbsup:

Jeff

I like your idea Bullrun, I have a bag and horn for my .50 and will have the same for my .45. I have a range box for our range shoots when it is to wet or not ideal conditions for our w/walk. I too am preparing for retirement as flinters are the most economical to shoot. I have a stock pile of lead and I am always collecting more. I will have a load of flint and powder when the time comes. If I ever have the opportunity to retire. :thumbsup:

Just like you said - Loading from the bag is fun. I've been setting up a bag for each rifle (three). I can still take a horn, but it's for looks; I load from a powder flask. The tool box stays in the vehicle. It did mean getting a few extras to complete the bag but I sure like it.

I switched to the bag a long while ago. I have a percussion bag and a flint bag.
I don’t see much reason not to shoot from your bag especially if you are a hunter.

Loading from the pouch frees you to concentrate on your shooting. The rifle clubs that I shoot with all have a "no tackle box" rule. I have my possible's box in the truck in case anything goes badly wrong but what I carry in my pouch will usually fix most anything that happens on the line. I have a separate bag set up for each gun.

Each bag has a tool kit that is specific to the gun. The tool kit has a screw driver, extra flints, Main spring clamp, various attachments for the end of the rod and a set of pliers.

I have been shooting out of the bag since I started back in the 80's and find tackle box shooting to be a lot more tedious.

Many Klatch

better to load from out side the pouch ball bock horn and load shot do agin pouch holds exters for care of lock gun ect and refils for block

I've always shot "from the pouch" and seems strange to me that anyone shoots any other way.
Even on a stationary firing line, where it's not required, I still shoot that way. It's like writing your name. At first you printed it slowly
but now your hand writes it without you even thinking about it. After awhile shooting from the pouch will be the same.
Deadeye

Back