• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Load for PH .58 1853 Enfield

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brno

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Got a 2 band Parker Hale 1853 copy (made in England) and was wondering about what loads to use? anyone have one and a pet load? + Lead mold# etc

Y2K said:
Got a 2 band Parker Hale 1853 copy (made in England) and was wondering about what loads to use? anyone have one and a pet load? + Lead mold# etc

Sir - the service load for the two or three band Enfield, whether it is the Parker-Hale continuation manufacture or the real thing, is the same - 2.5 drams of FFg - 68gr to you.

I get good results with two different mould makers' Minie bullets - lubed with the bullet lube of your choice - NO wad, NO nothin', except powder and bullet -

Lee #90481 - .575" diameter - 500gr of pure[est] lead.

Lyman #2651213 - .575213" diameter - 510gr of pure[est] lead.

Since I'm a bit of a rivet-counter I have never used PRB, but then, we shoot the things out to 800 yards, and by then the ball would be almost rolling along the ground.

As ever, your results might be different to mine, but I'm certain that Mr Minshall, the real maven, will come by momentarily, and put me right.

tac

I have the Musketoon from P-H I got in 1974. I use a smooth sided Prichett ball and 55 gr. of 3FFFg powder. SOmetimes I paper patch, but mostly I do not. I have used that load for these 30 + years and love it. It will, however shoot nicely with 45-50 gr's.

P

tac said:
Y2K said:

Sir - the service load for the two or three band Enfield, whether it is the Parker-Hale continuation manufacture or the real thing, is the same - 2.5 drams of FFg - 68gr to you.

I get good results with two different mould makers' Minie bullets - lubed with the bullet lube of your choice - NO wad, NO nothin', except powder and bullet -

Lee #90481 - .575" diameter - 500gr of pure[est] lead.

Lyman #2651213 - .575213" diameter - 510gr of pure[est] lead.

Since I'm a bit of a rivet-counter I have never used PRB, but then, we shoot the things out to 800 yards, and by then the ball would be almost rolling along the ground.

As ever, your results might be different to mine, but I'm certain that Mr Minshall, the real maven, will come by momentarily, and put me right.

tac
Which do you prefer, the Lee or the Lyman?

I use the same load and the Lyman mold. It is a very high quality, steel mold and with proper care will last a few lifetimes. The Lee molds, at least the ones I've seen, are aluminum. They're cheaper but you get what you pay for.

My PH rifle came with what I think is a PH mold? Marked PH # 58560

Y2K said:
My PH rifle came with what I think is a PH mold? Marked PH # 58560

The moulds that came with Parker-Hale arms of all types were actually made by Lyman - and should still be in the familiar orange Lyman plastic box packaging.

tac

Latest posts

Back