• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

LMF Brown Coppering

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteDavis

40 Cal.
Reaction score
The copper syndrome seems to happen easily. I had a small spot, now trying to get rid of it by sanding and re-application. Patience is a must.

Yup, the slightest double stroke or rub seems to be too much,, and the color comes.
It comes off easy enough with 220 and a block.
But if it's left it won't brown. (period)

Try lightly sanding the spot with a coarser grit... 150 or 180. Shouldn't be a problem if the spot isn't too big. And don't rub it in :wink: IMO and experience, the finer the grit the harder it is to get a good rust going.

To me this suggests a pre-treatment with vinegar or other to start the rust.

Also I want to try a small misting application next time, from a lens cleaner bottle.

PD

I wouldn't try vinegar mist. Just hit it with a bit of coarser sandpaper and a light application of LMF. The vinegar may cause you more problems than it would solve.

I apply LMF with a cotton patches made from old T-shirts (like cleaning patches). Just get a small spot damp on the patch and swipe it across the surface just once. Hard to over apply if you do it that way.

Sometimes you get spots or smaller parts that just don't want to take the brown. The only thing that has worked for me is backing off to a coarser grit finish... You aren't going to notice the difference between 220 and 180 grit finish after its rusted IMO.

Back