• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Light hunting rifle, straight stock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philip A.

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have a project brewing, that will be a no-nonsense hunting rifle. Most probably in .58, flinter, short barrel in the 26"-28" region, aiming for 6.5#-7# loaded. To make it as comfortable to shoot as possible with stout loads, I'd like to get a much straighter stock than those in use two centuries ago, but at the same time keep the general late 18th/early 19th century looks.

Any pointers to either period rifles that would be a good design start, or new builds that fit into these parameters? Pictures for inspiration is all I need.

I'm used to noticeable recoil (my every-day unmentionable is a 8.7# that pushes 5,000+ ft.lbf at the muzzle), and know from experience that proper stock design makes all the difference between a shootable rifle, and "Ouch... Ain't shooting the second round, thank you Sir...". I also know that when carrying a rifle all day in your hand, 7 lbs feel like a ton less than 9 lbs, hence my specs sheet...

Thanks!

Early English sporting rifle, German Jaeger rifle. Both short barreled, both have a butt plate square to the line of the bore, both have a fairly wide butt plate to help disperse felt recoil, both are relatively light and sling swivels don't look out of place, if carrying a heavy (relative term) rifle is a problem for you.

Early English sporting rifle, German Jaeger rifle. Both short barreled, both have a butt plate square to the line of the bore, both have a fairly wide butt plate to help disperse felt recoil, both are relatively light and sling swivels don't look out of place, if carrying a heavy (relative term) rifle is a problem for you.
Thanks, I'll search and check.

No need of sling swivels, I never use a sling and actually remove the swivels from all my guns... When out hunting, we're off at dawn till dusk, hours of walking in the bush, up and down gullies, crawling during stalks, and generally having fun and a rough time. The lighter the rifle, the better...

Looking for something like this?

Attachments

• 100_1240.JPG
    100_1240.JPG
    235.7 KB · Views: 0
My Jim Parker transitional rifle utilizes a Rice English style sporting barrel at 31" and .58 caliber. I primarily wanted it for white tail deer where I hunted them in a woodland setting, so shots were never more than fifty yards or so. I initially tried 100 grs 3fg behind a .570 patched ball but quickly found it to be somewhat uncomfortable in this 6 1/2-pound rifle. I finally settled on 82 grs (+/- 3 drams) which did the trick. Of the several deer taken with it, most were bang flops with a couple of short runners that were easily recovered.
PXL_20240423_133217970.jpg

First off, welcome to the forum from Indiana. I think Robin101 has a good idea. Before I read his post I was thinking of a Buffalo Hunter rifle like the one Turner Kirkland used on his African safari. You didn’t mention any monetary restraints so go for one of those beautiful British hunting rifles. Keep us posted on your decision and good luck.

Phill

My Jim Parker transitional rifle utilizes a Rice English style sporting barrel at 31" and .58 caliber. I primarily wanted it for white tail deer where I hunted them in a woodland setting, so shots were never more than fifty yards or so. I initially tried 100 grs 3fg behind a .570 patched ball but quickly found it to be somewhat uncomfortable in this 6 1/2-pound rifle. I finally settled on 82 grs (+/- 3 drams) which did the trick. Of the several deer taken with it, most were bang flops with a couple of short runners that were easily recovered. View attachment 314539

6 1/2 pounds at 31"? Now we're talking........ What barrel is that one?

Yep, English style it will be!

Comfortable, wide buttplate would be my choice. Straight stock rather than extreme drop - remember shooting grand dad's old single-shot 12 gauge and how much it kicked?. His had so much drop it was impossible (even for adults) to gain a proper mount.

I only have two .58's, but a buttload of m/l shotguns. None have crescent nor flat buttplates. All are wide, rounded, and coutoured to sorta "snuggle" into that sweet spot on my shoulder.

Have fun and please post ongoing evidence photos of your progress.

This is a .58 smooth rifle I built using a early Lancaster stock from Pecatonica and a Colerain 36" tapered octagon to round barrel. It weighs 7 lbs. 3 oz. Pecatonica inlet the barrel and drilled the ramrod channel. I used a large Siler lock and a wide Fowler butt plate and I did all the inletting. The stock dimensions fit me well and the sights are right on when I mount the gun. It could easily be built in rifled flintlock and cutting a few inches off the barrel would lighten it some.

Attachments

• IMG_6507.JPG
    IMG_6507.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 0
This is a .58 smooth rifle I built using a early Lancaster stock from Pecatonica and a Colerain 36" tapered octagon to round barrel. It weighs 7 lbs. 3 oz. Pecatonica inlet the barrel and drilled the ramrod channel. I used a large Siler lock and a wide Fowler butt plate and I did all the inletting. The stock dimensions fit me well and the sights are right on when I mount the gun. It could easily be built in rifled flintlock and cutting a few inches off the barrel would lighten it some.
I'm thinking of something along those same lines with a Rice 62 barrel. I need light weight and 62 will never be too little gun in elk country! 😀

QUOTE]

You got part of it right, don’t think I have seen an English with set triggers in all my days. There’s no big game in uk , more of a rabbit shotgun country with a few small deer .45 ml more than enough. But things change up in Scotland on the rich Lairds estates big stag hunting for the rich.

This one made in Aberdeen Scotland 577 and 36” barrel, coming in at 12lbs 1840

Sorry think I bumped into your conversation my apology

Does Ox Yoke still offer their short flinter. Always admired that gun. It has quality parts. Laminated stock. Not cheap.

Attachments

• 8167C87C-FCA0-4EE3-B056-F4232848C607.jpeg
    8167C87C-FCA0-4EE3-B056-F4232848C607.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 76D7E369-D028-4E9F-B1AF-EF9D4203E042.jpeg
    76D7E369-D028-4E9F-B1AF-EF9D4203E042.jpeg
    797.7 KB · Views: 0
  • E54EF9A9-6659-4BE9-A3AC-38DA0AE1F6D7.jpeg
    E54EF9A9-6659-4BE9-A3AC-38DA0AE1F6D7.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
I was thinking like @Robin101. The English Sporting Rifles were large caliber, short barreled designed to handle large charges of powder pushing a large ball. Often these came with single triggers. Sounds like the rifle @Philip A. is considering.

Better add me at 81 with this rifle
Again. Ha ha
QUOTE]

You got part of it right, don’t think I have seen an English with set triggers in all my days. There’s no big game in uk , more of a rabbit shotgun country with a few small deer .45 ml more than enough. But things change up in Scotland on the rich Lairds estates big stag hunting for the rich.

This one made in Aberdeen Scotland 577 and 36” barrel, coming in at 12lbs 1840

Attachments

• 6A2BCF39-F1EB-4CCA-B85C-D862EB17E6F6.jpeg
    6A2BCF39-F1EB-4CCA-B85C-D862EB17E6F6.jpeg
    797.7 KB · Views: 0
  • ABC79571-5BF4-4BD7-A527-DBC3BD75A3AC.jpeg
    ABC79571-5BF4-4BD7-A527-DBC3BD75A3AC.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • CECDA9E7-0689-49AB-9830-1AF8969B07AB.jpeg
    CECDA9E7-0689-49AB-9830-1AF8969B07AB.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Back