• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Let's see how far down the Rabbit Hole this takes me....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went ahead and picked up an 1851 Navy 36. (Pietta). Ordered a set of slixshot cones. Cant tell if that feeling in my gut is excitement, or anxiety? Either way, looking forward to a range day.
My Navy is one of my favorites. They are a blast to shoot, Have fun

Snakebit,
Congrats on your new hobby. Navies are great pistols, very closely second only to the 60 armies. Which you will have shortly, the rabbit hole is deep, VERY DEEP!
You've gotten great advice here, you're going to love those Slixshots. They make my 60 run like a well oiled sewing machine.
See you down the rabbit hole 😁
And don't forget to add more pics!

Went ahead and picked up an 1851 Navy 36. (Pietta). Ordered a set of slixshot cones. Cant tell if that feeling in my gut is excitement, or anxiety? Either way, looking forward to a range day.
Beauty.
2 cents worth, I like to LIGHTLY sand the leading edge of the bolt. Lightly means 5 or 6 light passes on the corner edge. Then polish , I ise flits and a felt tip dremel. Just a new gun preventative medicine,keeps that scratch line from appearing on the cylinder. Takes 3 minutes.

I'm right behind you! Just bught same gun from Billfromoregon right here. Gun, nipples, two boxs round balls and a box of conicals and I got the holster as well. Cant wait!! Will have to watch those videos. I plan on this being my woods carry. Gonna let go of my Pietta Buntline 12" .44 steel and holster to pay for this one (I got busted by swmbo as I had to involve the daughter for paypal reasons and wife picked up the phone when she texted it went through so out the door to pay for more! AND I'M on probation another few months!)

If the gun is timed properly you won't have beauty rings on the cylinder. My advice would be unless you know or thoroughly understand what you are doing don't go dressing up any parts. Clean it and go out and shoot the gun before you "fix" something you have not even used yet.

When you put the nipples back in, grease them. Just a touch to lube the threads. I leave mine loose until my next shooting session. If you ever have them sieze up, you'll not likely forget to lube 'em again. I keep a tube or two of Thompson Center's bore butter around to lube the arbor also.

I got a lot of revolvers, and my completely stock Pietta 1851 .36 Navy is my favorite. I shoot it more often than all my other revolvers combined, probably got 12,000 to 15,000 balls through it. You made a good choice!

First cleaning I'd take out or at least loosen the nipples before using the gun. Sometimes on a new gun a gorilla puts them in. After firing they can be much harder to remove.
Yep, I did. Degreased with simple green, have it coat of Ballistol. Went and shot it a few times today. As what I read, shot high for me, but windage wasn't off, actually impressive. Pretty happy with it.

I got a lot of revolvers, and my completely stock Pietta 1851 .36 Navy is my favorite. I shoot it more often than all my other revolvers combined, probably got 12,000 to 15,000 balls through it. You made a good choice!
Wow, that is a lot of lead! I shot it today for the first time. Very happy with it. I need to get some more 3f and a few other things. My only other traditional BP weapons are 2 32 caliber rifles, and a TC New Englander I recently traded for, so I have to figure out the this and that's to take to the range.

Snakebit,
Congrats on your new hobby. Navies are great pistols, very closely second only to the 60 armies. Which you will have shortly, the rabbit hole is deep, VERY DEEP!
You've gotten great advice here, you're going to love those Slixshots. They make my 60 run like a well oiled sewing machine.
And don't forget to add more pics

Lol. Its as contagious as they say. I was eyeballing a 1858 Remington in the case while the fella behind the counter was putting the Navy in its box.

Beauty.
2 cents worth, I like to LIGHTLY sand the leading edge of the bolt. Lightly means 5 or 6 light passes on the corner edge. Then polish , I ise flits and a felt tip dremel. Just a new gun preventative medicine,keeps that scratch line from appearing on the cylinder. Takes 3 minutes.
Thank you. I'll give it a try!

I'm right behind you! Just bught same gun from Billfromoregon right here. Gun, nipples, two boxs round balls and a box of conicals and I got the holster as well. Cant wait!! Will have to watch those videos. I plan on this being my woods carry. Gonna let go of my Pietta Buntline 12" .44 steel and holster to pay for this one (I got busted by swmbo as I had to involve the daughter for paypal reasons and wife picked up the phone when she texted it went through so out the door to pay for more! AND I'M on probation another few months!)
Awesome. I just have the RB for now. Really like the way this shoots. #10 caps are pretty scarce around here. Hopefully the new nipples I ordered will like #11s. I have a few tins of them.

Snakebit,
And don't forget to add more pics!
Do your slixshots like #11 caps? Factory nipples worked great with #10s, which are pretty scarce my way.

Thank you. I'll give it a try!
I wouldn’t if i were you.
If the gun is timed properly you won't have beauty rings on the cylinder. My advice would be unless you know or thoroughly understand what you are doing don't go dressing up any parts. Clean it and go out and shoot the gun before you "fix" something you have not even used yet.

Back