• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lepus Oregoniaus near extinction

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olgriz

40 Cal.
Reaction score
This is an old photo of a sub species of jack rabbit that has become near extinct over in the eastern Oregon desert. These critters could gang up on a coyote and kill it, so at one time they thrived. But sadly hunting pressure has sent them the same way as the buffalo.
rabbit.jpg

I always thought using a Brown Bess with a patched roundball to hunt rabbits was overkill, until now! :: :crackup: :crackup: :thumbsup:

cowhand,
damn a couple of those bunnies would make for a fine meal. mite even invite the relatives over.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS
snake-eyes :peace: :) :thumbsup: :)

Yep, when we lived over in eastern Oregon my wife hit one of them out on the desert one night in her Subaru wagon. Totaled the car. Worse than the mule deer i hit. Don't know why that guy shot that female though, the Big Bucks have some pretty impressive antlers on them. Too bad they are getting so rare. They sure would be fun to hunt with the .62 smoothbore.

Is it true, what they say 'bout them jack rabbits migrate'n to Oregon from Texas?? :haha:

YMHS
rollingb

I recall once when ol cowhand and I was in E. OR. a deer huntin when he was on one side of a lil hill and I on the other side when I hears him yel "LOOK out little bubba" :shocking: bout that time Here comes one of them big ol bunnys, I took off as fast as me lil ol leggs would take me but not fast nuff to get out of the way, that big ol bunny run plum over me nockin me down and bracking me stock of me flint lock at the rist, :curse: I tryed to shoot at the wild bunny with what was left of me old rifle aholdin it like a pistol I fired but mised him. Bout that time big bubba come over and poped off a shoot also but that wild bunny was headed off down the country side.
Never will I ferget that day. :shake:

Keep ye powder dry and the wind at ye back

Bear1st

One thing about posting to this outfit, the first liar doesn't stand a chance.

I took one of the members here, Keith, huntin fer grouse and rabbits in my woods. He soon learned to point yer muzzle away from the hill-side; so ye don't turn quick and fill it with dirt. Parts of the area is steep. Our bunnies don't get that big, but they're tough to hit. Born on that slope, they just reverse directions and the short legs on their one side flip under the long legs on the other, kickin 'em up into the top of the tree next to the trunk of the one beside it they was sittin under.

Never did understand why fellers use treestands. Ye either look off into space or into the roots of the tree beside ye.

Sounds like nobody told bear1st that to get one of them bunnies you have snap shoot at the county line cuz he's gonna be there before you can follow through. Man those rabbits must run the 100yard dash in under 2 seconds about 2 leaps I would guess. Leave a dust cloud so thick it takes a half a day to settle. Them little minatures are a lot better eating anyhow and you don't have to worry about the Feds getting afteryou for shooting endangered critters.
Merry Christmas
Fox

I guess a fair sportsman would just hunt them with a club...... of about 60 members or so. If they manage a harvest of about three or four, they can feed their town fer bout a month or so. They could make fur coats fer bout half. If'n ya cut the ends off'n the bones you can use them under the roads to control water wash-outs. They's about untotable uses for 'em thar kritters parts. Maybe we should take over Saskatuwan so's we can breed 'em back!

Latest posts

Back