• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Length of 1800's longrifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elkeater

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently heard that the muzzle should come to the curl of the bottom lip - it keeps your head safe. At 6'6" tall that makes the barrel about 53" long for me. Boy oh boy this is gonna cost me. Any sympathy out there?

They ARE called "longrifles". My favorite bbl length is 46" on my Bucks County builds...would go longer but for the increased costs of a custom bbl, a longer blank and a longer shipping container.

That "lip thing"....don't know if it's a valid gauge for a bbl or OA length of a LR. But, here's a couple of solutions if using a "shorty". When loading, either tote along a stand to bring the muzzle to "lip" height or when hunting, find a suitable falldown or rock and rest the butt on them.....always a way?.....Fred

I know that Charles at FCI will make barrels to 48". Don't know if anyone else out there makes them any longer than that, but suspect they exist. The question is price and quality. I know that Rice will go to 46", and that's it.

i did a 46-1/2" lancaster, definately nose heavy, I can only imagine a 48".....or longer!
I like the feel of 44" max length~ i believe you will find a 42"-44" barrel, with a LOP of 14-1/2" nice....dad was 6'-6" fellow....his arrows had to be made custom length made...but his Colt long re-curve bow was standard :youcrazy:

these rifles are all just to your like~.....a 48" will be a wopper to shoot off-hand~ :rotf:
marc n tomtom

One of the lesser spoken about benefits of shooting a longer barrel is the decreased noise at the shooter's ear. A 10% difference in barrel length should make about a 5 dB difference in noise level, which is a function of exit pressure of the escaping gasses, and the crack of the bullet (if supersonic). Being further away from your ear lets the sound and shock waves disapate more before they reach you. Just a guess, but I'm thinking that the gas pressure would drop from maybe 1000 psi (44" barrel) to maybe 300 psi if you use your 53" tube, and sound levels drop by 10-12 dB, which is about the same level of suppression as a cheap pair of ear muffs!

People are going to ask you if you're using a silencer! When they do that, turn to them and mouth the words "yes I am" with no sound coming out of your mouth just to see their reaction.

Thanks for all the input gentlemen, much appreciated.The reduction of noise had not acurred to me, nice. Am anxious to see the accuracy benefit of the longer distance between sights.
Not sure yet between 48" and 50". My builder is showing calm endurance with my indecisiveness.

We shall endeavor to persevere.

Do you have someone who will make a tube that long? Charles has an 8-month wait, (I ordered one Apr 1 and am still waiting) but his prices are pretty close to where Rice is.

You could contact the Gun Works (Oregon Barrel).

While they don't advertise longer than 35" with their listed pricing they can/will build just about anything they can source metal for.

Likewise, I have Charlie building me a barrel (ordered back in May) because he could cut the caliber and profile I wanted with round bottomed rifling.

Oregon does square only in straight or tapered (no in house swamp patterns and doesn't do 38 cal) or would have used them - their prices are more than competitive, they (at least have been) a little quicker (under 6 months - sometimes as short as 3) and they do make a super quality barrel.

(not 100% positive, but I'm thinking that Oregon is using the gear from the old Sharon Barrel Co. - I know that Charlie took over Goodien's machines when he packed it in)

I've decided not to reveal who my builder is until I take delivery. He is on this forum, I leave it to him to divulge his contacts. The barrel maker is well respected on this forum.
50" tapered 54 cal, 1-72" twist,radius groove.

Seems that the most common length today is 42". Apparently most older barrels were a little longer than that. Dickert didn't have to deal with shipping an "Oversized Parcel".

When you rode your horse to the gun shop they built it to you the way you wanted it. Or you went somewhere else. I think there was less compromising to the standard production line product.

Man alive a barrel that long you are going to need a wheel kit put on like a cannon. Better hope the deer are standing still I am 6'6" myself and doubt I could swing a bun that big that fast

No wheels. Horse power, on the high, short grass prairie. I've found that pronghorns are not spooked by horses. Deer can be. When shooting them I'm kneeling, sitting with sticks, or prone depending on the lay of the land.
The 2016 season will tell.
I shall persevere to endeavor the long wait.

You heard wrong. There was never a set pattern for the length of long rifles. Personally I believe the length was determined by the length of the barrel you bought and barrel makers sold what was the most popular a the time. It was all about money then just as now. In RCA the books look and see what the barrel lengths were.

Right you are Jerry. It seems that in that book, and several others, the most popular length was between 40 and 44, with most right around 41-42. Since the "average" man of those days was about 3"-4" shorter than he is today, that sort of tells you why 44 is such a popular length today.

If memory serves, I think only a very few of the guns in those books are much longer than 54 though.

One other thing you'll need to think about is the width of your front sight post. On my 34" guns I use one about .050", but on the 44" guns I need to widen to .080". I'm guessing you may need to widen to .010 to get a decent sight picture.

You heard wrong. There was never a set pattern for the length of long rifles
You heard me wrong Jerry. The set pattern is the current production line barrels. I attempted to say the small business man of yore was more likely to build a more custom gun than T/C or..... today. Therefore the barrel lengths of yore were more varied than today. I have 3 T/C all with 26" tubes.

like buying rope.... you can ALWAYS cut it back~
:hmm:
with a barrel that long, and that big, it should pack a REAL punch in the power dept...

SOMEday, i will start on the 54cal i have standing in the corner........

pictures if/when he gets going on it~ :wink:

marc n tomtom

Shroyer/Bower rifle copy 2014 by okawbow, on Flickr
This is a rifle I finnished this year. The barrel is 48" long, 54 cal., 1 in 72", custom swamped. Total weight is just over 10#.

This gun is great for offhand. I won every match I entered with it. I'm using it for deer this weekend.

I'm very happy with the long barrel.

Back